Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Riser Bolts for Fairing Mount-FXDBI

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:45 PM
URDONE4
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Riser Bolts for Fairing Mount-FXDBI

Can't seem to find anything when I search as there are so many threads with the key words...

A friend of mine gave me a 1/4 fairing that he couldn't use on his sportster due to an after market headlight. I am going to make a mount as my FXDBI doesn't have the bolt locations that the fairing mount was intended for. With that said, the easiest way I can bend and weld something to mount this bracket to would be my riser bolts underneath the triple tree. Is there any issue with adding a piece of flat material there with the bushing and lock washer?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Juan M.
6th Gear

In my honest opinion as long you keep torque specs you should be OK, u are not adding enough weight either. Show some pics.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

My fairing mounts to the top bolts of the risers and the bottom bolt of the headlight assembly (FXDF). It's solid as a rock, the bolts are all Loctited and torqued to correct specs.

I'll try to remember to post a pic of the mounting tomorrow.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

when I had my ¼ fairing attached it was done with flat stock using the riser bolts and headlight bolt. I can't find a picture showing the lower attachment.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 AM
URDONE4
Novice

Originally Posted by Juan M.
In my honest opinion as long you keep torque specs you should be OK, u are not adding enough weight either. Show some pics.
Thanks Juan. Most of the weight will fall on the support I will make off the headlight bolt. The fairing itself only weighs a few lbs.

Originally Posted by adm
My fairing mounts to the top bolts of the risers and the bottom bolt of the headlight assembly (FXDF). It's solid as a rock, the bolts are all Loctited and torqued to correct specs.

I'll try to remember to post a pic of the mounting tomorrow.

Thank you! Pics would be great. I am thinking the same, running an aluminum/steel brace from the headlight bolt to the bottom of the fairing. Should be clean, get the headlight up just a little, and not flap in the wind.

Originally Posted by fskitch
when I had my ¼ fairing attached it was done with flat stock using the riser bolts and headlight bolt. I can't find a picture showing the lower attachment.

Wow! That is much thicker steel than I was considering running. Great to know there is enough thread to add that thickness. This should be an easy weekend project now. Bending the flat to fit and junking the stock bracket all together might be a good route. Thanks for the pictures.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:25 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

I like that garage door opener location! I'll have to try that with my memphis shades cafe fairing