Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATT: Low Riders-Tips for Riser/Bar changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:11 PM
creekhed1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATT: Low Riders-Tips for Riser/Bar changes

I thought I'd share my experiences on this topic as it is a PAIN to change out the risers/Bars on an FXDL as the indicator lights are in the clamp.

I bought a set of 6.5" Drag Specialties pullback risers for my bike and installed them, but as you may or may not know the stock handlebar clamp WILL NOT fit with aftermarket risers. After much thought on what to do about this I finally decided to order a handlebar clamp from the 99-03 Sportster Custom as it has a built in Indicator light slot and fits aftermarket risers.
After the install was complete all that was left to do was to hide the bottom side of the indicator light module. This was done by taking apart my stock indicator module "cover" and removing the holder for it. Once I did that I simply Glued it onto my Module where it meets the handlebar clamp. This was a PAIN as well but she turned out great. I also added a 3" tank lift (LOVEIT!!!!) and lastly I added another 2" of riser lift by installing 2 SOCKETS (yes...sockets) to the bottom of the risers with longer bolts.

There you have it, an FXDL with aftermarket 32" Buffalo Drag Bars, 8.5" Pullback risers and 3" tank lift.
Thought this advise would come in handy to some of ya'z!!!
Pics Below (ya...that's SNOW!!! CRUD!!!)

Last edited by creekhed1; 11-18-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F'n snow ....

Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

looks great!!! way to make things work out with a little mix and match.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what size sockets?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:40 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by creekhed1
I thought I'd share my experiences on this topic as it is a PAIN to change out the risers/Bars on an FXDL as the indicator lights are in the clamp.

I bought a set of 6.5" Drag Specialties pullback risers for my bike and installed them, but as you may or may not know the stock handlebar clamp WILL NOT fit with aftermarket risers. After much thought on what to do about this I finally decided to order a handlebar clamp from the 99-03 Sportster Custom as it has a built in Indicator light slot and fits aftermarket risers.
After the install was complete all that was left to do was to hide the bottom side of the indicator light module. This was done by taking apart my stock indicator module "cover" and removing the holder for it. Once I did that I simply Glued it onto my Module where it meets the handlebar clamp. This was a PAIN as well but she turned out great. I also added a 3" tank lift (LOVEIT!!!!) and lastly I added another 2" of riser lift by installing 2 SOCKETS (yes...sockets) to the bottom of the risers with longer bolts.

There you have it, an FXDL with aftermarket 32" Buffalo Drag Bars, 8.5" Pullback risers and 3" tank lift.

UH my idicators are on or in the headlight cover 2003 FXDL

Old 11-18-2008, 07:40 PM
blkdimon8
Tourer

[QUOTE=creekhed1;4131258]I thought I'd share my experiences on this topic as it is a PAIN to change out the risers/Bars on an FXDL as the indicator lights are in the clamp.

QUOTE]

you do anything to the stock cables? brake line? wiring?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 AM
creekhed1
Road Master

I think they were 3/4" sockets but whatever size they were matched up PERFECTLY with my risers.
ALL cables and wiring remained stock and fit fine.
3" tank lift required a new crossover line but was a snap.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
TelecomJunkee
1st Gear
Question I need the part number please...

Hi,
I am currently doing a wide glide conversion and have run into the same problem. Can you send me the part number for the indicator light clamp please? Many thanks!

Chris

Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. why is you post so wide. Takes 10 min to read it.
Anyway, nice job on the bars and the indi lite relocate. I went with an 8" rise drag bar with integral risers , so I had to go another route. I relocated the lites to the dash panel. What a pain in the *ss but it looks clean.

Attached Thumbnails ATT: Low Riders-Tips for Riser/Bar changes-dyna-project-021.jpg  
Old 12-10-2008, 07:36 PM
creekhed1
Road Master

My post isn't wide on my screen...

I don't have the part # for the Clamp but if you call your Stealer just tell them you need a Handlebar clamp for a '99-'03 Sportster Custom and they'll be able to look it up. It's about $50