Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street bob brake upgrade...pick your brains on this

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:14 AM
Chritoff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Street bob brake upgrade...pick your brains on this

Has any1 upgraded the brakes (specifically the front) on a street bob ...mine is a 2011 model...and I want to stick with the single disc.

I changed the pads a while back...that helped a little...and have a set of steel braided brake lines being shipped.

Anybody gone with a Performance Machine caliper? Or something similar?
If you did was it a 4 pot? Change disc as well?

Any suggestions would be great, and if any1 has mod # for what they bought that would be way cool.

Bit of a brake noob when it comes to the bob.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:45 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I am in the process of doing this now... my plan is to go from a 300mm rotor to a 320 floating, braided lines, and Nissin sport bike caliper with custom mount. I am still gathering parts and doing my homework but that is what is goign on in my head.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

For sure more clamping power will improve, like above did ... Make sure you go with the proper lines as some pressures may be a bit higher depending on what you chose....That PM 4 piston caliper looks good also.
What kind of different pads did you use...

Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 AM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking into this over the last few days and it currently looks like I'll going with a PM or JayBrake 6 piston caliper, braided lines and a Lyndall rotor (plus matching pads)

It's an upgrade you could do in stages to test each part: lines and caliper first, lyndall rotor second... if you go with their rotor make sure to use lyndall pads

HogPro (a site sponsor) has great prices on PM calipers and Lyndall rotors
JayBrakes can be found around the web for a similar price as HogPros PM

Still trying to figure out whether PM or JayBrake is the way to go - I'll post back if/when I find more info

Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Chritoff
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
For sure more clamping power will improve, like above did ... Make sure you go with the proper lines as some pressures may be a bit higher depending on what you chose....That PM 4 piston caliper looks good also.
What kind of different pads did you use...
I already ordered a set of stainless braided lines for this...that should help somewhat with more pressures.

Pads, I can't remember the brand. I did get them from JP cycles...I had them recommended as a good organic pad with good stopping power. Once the newness had gone I really did notice an improvement.

The next step was always gonna be the the swap to steel lines, and then the caliper. Maybe rotors if I have to as well.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Be on the look out, San Diego Customs is working with Lyndall on some killer brake upgrades as well... Soon to be released. This is the direction I'd go.
https://www.facebook.com/sandiegocustoms

Old 02-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I swear by EBC double sintered pads... they grab the disc a lot better than Organics...Some swaer by Lyndall Z golds i have never tried them as the EBC made such an impact...

Old 02-15-2014, 05:58 AM
Chritoff
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I swear by EBC double sintered pads... they grab the disc a lot better than Organics...Some swaer by Lyndall Z golds i have never tried them as the EBC made such an impact...
I just found the old packet the pads came in...the EBC is what I got from JP...and I agree, the grip real well.