General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake caliper options

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Rear brake caliper options

I would like to improve my rear brake performance. I changed the pads to lyndal gold street pads and they are definitely better. However the system is still lacking.
This is for my 98 softail, factory caliper. I will be upgrading to s.s. lines and will rebuild the m.c.
What is everyone's thought on the P.M. calipers? I know they claim they are better, but I can buy new aftermarket factory style for about 250 for new caliper and chrome bracket. The P.M. kit is about 500. Are they really that much better?
I don't like the double price tag, but if they really are that much safer I wouldn't hesitate. My other concern is the need to run P.M. pads. The stock configuration gives me a plethora of pads to choose from and are readily available.

My current caliper is in good shape so a rebuild of that won't get me much if anything. I just don't want to shell out 500 bones for the placebo affect. I.e. they were expensive so have to be better. Anyone running these notice a vast improvement? How available are the pads, special order? Thanks.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I would rebuild the master and put on stainless lines with new fluid first. If that isn't enough then a new caliper is a good option and maybe a floating rotor. I have a pm 4 piston on the front and I think it works great and looks good for the money.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The stock rear caliper on my 09 works well, probably an upgrade from your year model, however for the front (single caliper) I tried an expensive name brand 6 piston differential bore caliper which was dissapointing, replaced it with a 4 piston Brembo from QTMI and NOW,,,,, I have brakes.