Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Dyna Speedometer power loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 AM
jim70
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Dyna Speedometer power loss

I lose total power to my speedo about 5 sec after starting engine. When key only 'ON' it works ok. I've checked all my wiring and connections and even tried another speedo...
The bizarre thing is that once bike is running and speedo fails, if I select either left or right signal switch, the odometer comes back live and the LCD display flashes on off in sequence with the signal lights!
I can drive 20 minutes with the failed speedo and needle stuck in position of power loss, then all restores normal for a while..then quits again later.
I've not yet changed the speed sensor on top of tranny, but only cleaned the swarf off the pickup sensor.
Just wondering if the speedo sensor would also give me this weird flashing of odometer with signal lights.
Bike is 100% stock and never apart...80k on it.
Whaddya think??
Jim

Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 AM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jim70
I lose total power to my speedo about 5 sec after starting engine. When key only 'ON' it works ok. I've checked all my wiring and connections and even tried another speedo...
The bizarre thing is that once bike is running and speedo fails, if I select either left or right signal switch, the odometer comes back live and the LCD display flashes on off in sequence with the signal lights!
I can drive 20 minutes with the failed speedo and needle stuck in position of power loss, then all restores normal for a while..then quits again later.
I've not yet changed the speed sensor on top of tranny, but only cleaned the swarf off the pickup sensor.
Just wondering if the speedo sensor would also give me this weird flashing of odometer with signal lights.
Bike is 100% stock and never apart...80k on it.
Whaddya think??
Jim
I think it sounds like a bad connector somewhere or else a frayed wire or wire that has the insulation chafed somewhere. When you start the bike, the shaking begins and throws the connection loose.

I'd probably start at the back of the speedo and work your way down the harness, then I'd start with the controls and do the same.

Best of luck.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM
jim70
Cruiser

Thanks Grumble,
So given the fact that the signal lights coincide with the flashing odometer, can I steer away from the speed sensor on tranny?
The vibrations when running most likely causes the break or shake...
I've replaced the speedometer harness already and have checked the control switch wiring too.
I'm convinced it's something in the front neck/tree area where all those harnesses live.
Pity the 2000 Dyna has main harnesses hidden in frame channel and deutsch plugs buried in frame....
Just a real pain in the A.
Jim

Old 03-24-2014, 09:15 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jim70
Thanks Grumble,
So given the fact that the signal lights coincide with the flashing odometer, can I steer away from the speed sensor on tranny?
The vibrations when running most likely causes the break or shake...
I've replaced the speedometer harness already and have checked the control switch wiring too.
I'm convinced it's something in the front neck/tree area where all those harnesses live.
Pity the 2000 Dyna has main harnesses hidden in frame channel and deutsch plugs buried in frame....
Just a real pain in the A.
Jim
Yeah I think you're on to the right culprit. I had a 2000 Low Rider and it was unpleasant working on the wiring up front for sure. There are a lot of electrical gremlins out there. I hope you have that "aha" moment soon - i feel for ya.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I had something similar except eventually my bike stopped running. The dealer said it was a loose connection under the seat.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 PM
vinzilla
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dead speedo, I'd go for the transducer on the tranny. $60 ish Just make sure the pins are in the right spots in the plug. I had one on a 99 FXD where the pins weren't in the same configuration as on my bike.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 PM
jim70
Cruiser

Yes, but how do the signal lights activation and the blinking odometer tie into that for failed sensor on tranny?
I'll replace it for 60 bucks but still question it.
Thx
Jim

Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 PM
JayWatkins
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, did u ever fix this?