Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting power up to the handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Rickinbeachcrest
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting power up to the handlebars?

Got my gps mounted on the handlebars of my superglide custom. How would you suggest getting some power up to it? I've taken the seat off and loosened the gas tank and took a peak. Sure is a tight fit in there.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.
thanks.
Rick

Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

'power port' from the Kuryakin website.
I wired mine direct (with relay and fuse).
[url]https://www.denniskirk.com/universal-handlebar-electrical-power-port.p202504.prd/202504.sku[/url
This is the one I have. The USB plug can be pulled out and replaced with a cig lighter.
(scroll down for their new one, it's only USB though)

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4206/USB-Power-Source

Last edited by Deucedog; 06-15-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 AM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Powerlet makes a good product. I like mine; it is hooked up to the battery then routed under seat and tank.

http://www.powerlet.com/

Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM
HD Doc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boro
Powerlet makes a good product. I like mine; it is hooked up to the battery then routed under seat and tank.

http://www.powerlet.com/
My powerlet dealer in town normally works on metric bikes, but is a really good mechanic. I purchased a full complement of powerlet products from him and he wants to install himself if possible. I'm cool with that because I don't have the time or knowhow, but I'm wondering does the tank have to be completely removed, or can it be loosened and lifted as the wire is snaked under? I've never removed a tank, so I don't know how involved the process is. If I'm paying shop time, should I just take it to a shop that just works on harleys?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:03 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Doc
My powerlet dealer in town normally works on metric bikes, but is a really good mechanic. I purchased a full complement of powerlet products from him and he wants to install himself if possible. I'm cool with that because I don't have the time or knowhow, but I'm wondering does the tank have to be completely removed, or can it be loosened and lifted as the wire is snaked under? I've never removed a tank, so I don't know how involved the process is. If I'm paying shop time, should I just take it to a shop that just works on harleys?
You can do it without taking the tank off. Personally, I'd rather take it off so I can see the routing all the way up. If it runs up the side of the frame, I get worried about it getting pinched. If it runs up the centre channel then it would be a pain to run without taking the tank off.

I put the cable for my Powervision up the side of the frame to the bars without taking the tank off and it was 100% fine. I think it's just nicer to do it "properly".