Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elf E2125X Amp Install power..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:31 PM
banks727
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elf E2125X Amp Install power..

I'm installing my new Elf amp with J&M's 7.25's.

I've read many posts about installing the amps on the forum. Most guys say you'll need to remove the gas tank to run the power wire to battery. I really hate to do that and was thinking about removing the chrome console on top of the tank and running the power wire through there. Two other sets of wires are already running through there and these wires dump right into battery area.

Any reason why I could do this??

Lots of great info here on the subject of amps. Thanks to all you who have posted pics and installation instructions already.

Thanks

Banks

Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

First off, the consol idea is risky and not a good idea in my opinion. You do not have to remove the gas tank either. You can actually just lift the gas tank about 1/4" to 1/2" and run the power cable under the back bone without any binding or squishing after you drop the gas tank back into position. I would make sure that the power cable is double insulated for added peace of mind. Just add another layer of shrink wrap or plastic to the main power cable where it goes under the tank.

The existing wires that you were talking about, seem like an ok idea too. Is the power side fused?
I won't respond again until this evening. Sorry ahead of time.

Originally Posted by banks727
I'm installing my new Elf amp with J&M's 7.25's.

I've read many posts about installing the amps on the forum. Most guys say you'll need to remove the gas tank to run the power wire to battery. I really hate to do that and was thinking about removing the chrome console on top of the tank and running the power wire through there. Two other sets of wires are already running through there and these wires dump right into battery area.

Any reason why I could do this??

Lots of great info here on the subject of amps. Thanks to all you who have posted pics and installation instructions already.

Thanks

Banks

Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Max96
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran 3 - 18 gauge wires up through the main wiring harness trough to the inner fairing. I used a straightened out coat hanger and "gently" fished it through.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes I initially ran my power and ground wire under tank console it's ok. I later removed my tank and ran them through wiring harness trough. The '09 tank is easy to remove as it has a quick disconnect on the gas line.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lifted the tank up and fished the wire under the tank.

As said earlier the '09's are easier to remove because they don't have the crossover pipe thus you can remove the three bolts and lift the tank off.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Run the wires under the tank. The tank is easy to lift/remove and HD provides troughs for the wires. If you run them under the tank, it's pita to reinstall the tank console and gasket/edging along the base. You'll also have wires exiting out the front/bottom of the tank console which can be a problem for you cosmetically.

The wires under the tank console have to be there for the fuel pump; otherwise all wiring is run under the tank.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 05-04-2010, 04:19 PM
banks727
Advanced

Thanks guys. Great ideas. I'm just worried about leaking gas all over. I've read so many posts of guys having trouble with the crossover leaking as you have to cut it.

I liked the idea of just lifting the tank and running the wire under there with an extra layer of around it.

One question.... When removing the 09 tank. How would I cap off the fuel line? Or can I leave it connected and just move tank to run the wire and set it back down?

I really appreciate the help!! Guys on this board are so helpful. Kind of reminds me of the military.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

On a 09' where fuel line enters tank push up on the chrome sleeve(top)and pull down on fuel supply line to disconnect. Very little gas will spill. Just make sure your tank is low on gas for sake of lighter tank to lift off.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

No gas leak. No crossover on an '09. Its very easy to remove the tank. Just run it low so its light. Open the trough and run the wires through and do it right.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 PM
banks727
Advanced

Great advice guys. I'll plan to try to raise the tank a bit, or remove it if that doesn't work. I'll run the power wire under it.

Can't wait to get this amp in. I've heard so many good comments about the J&M's with an amp. Hope this one is near as good as the J&M amp is suppose to sound.

Quick Reply: Elf E2125X Amp Install power..