Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Accy fuse keeps blowing, no fuel injection, no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:54 PM
jaxgirl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accy fuse keeps blowing, no fuel injection, no start

I have a 2008 Fatboy. Never had any problems out of it whatsoever, but some woman ran me off of the road last weekend, and as I tried to get my girl stopped, I dropped her. It wasn't a bad drop, did no noticeable physical damage to my girl, broke my foot. But, she would not start afterwards, and I had to get her towed home.

Symptoms are when I turn on the ignition switch, the accessory fuse blows immediately...you can hear it pop. My headlight comes on, my red key security light comes on, the turn signal lights flash as they are supposed to indicating security is enabled.

But, none of the turn signals work, the horn doesn't work, and neither will the security override (using turn signals) or diagnostics. Additionally, when I turn on the Run switch, you hear no fuel pump/fuel injection sound and no light on the speedo either, and when you hit the Start switch, nothing there either.

I have a Fuel Pak installed on my bike and a friend is telling me that the Fuel Pak is the problem, but in the same breath called the Fuel Pak the ECU...and asked me if I had the original so he could take out the Fuel Pak and hook the original back up...the stock ECU is still on my bike, so I know they are not exactly the same thing. I hesitate to let anyone mess around with my Fuel Pak and ECU...he is smart about bikes from what I have seen in the past, but not first checking for other less major things bothers me...I really don't think either of these are the problem...I could be wrong...but it isn't like I ran into a tree or something, I just accidently let her fall over coming to a stop on rough terrain in the dark.

I checked all other fuses and they are okay.

I have researched, and researched, and researched. I am a female, but I am a pretty smart one and to date have done all of my own bike maintenance.

I am just wondering if anyone out there knows if the accessory fuse would have anything to do with the ECU or Fuel Pak...there is a fuse in the box marked ECU and another marked fuel pump...so, seems to me that it would not, but I am no expert...looking for advice. Do you think it is two separate problems, or one issue causing the horn, signals, and fuel injection from coming on?

I saw many people in forums online suggest to others a crimped wire somewhere regarding the accessory fuse blowing, but the majority of these threads the bike would start or turn over (all but one) and mine is not...the one, his bike shut completely off going down the road...he had a crimped wire.

Thanks much...my neighbor, another friend, is going come over tomorrow and help me and my broken foot troubleshoot, so any advice for us for tomorrow would be much appreciated!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Inspect the horn and its wiring for damage.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Since it's a Softail Fatboy, since you say no damage, other than hitting hard on your foot, maybe it yanked the battery wires and is shorted near battery. Pull the seat (simple) and look in that area. The only thing usually holding the battery down is a bumper on the bottom of the seat and it will shift side to side. (my son's girlfriend went over on the asphalt and the tank landed on her knee and put a fist size dent in the unscratched tank) The horn is off the accessory fuse and the Fuelpak may pick up power off it. Lot of time, people use clips to attach power and ground to these and it suprise me it last a year. If they did not hook it down, it could have snatched a wire loose. Probably obvious.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-29-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be start by checking the fuse box for power on each circuit at the fuse that should be live when the ignition switch is turned on. You are not even sure that the ecm is getting power when the switch is on. I don't have a wiring diagram for your bike, but if the different circuits should have their own fuse. For example if the horn fuse has no power with the switch is on then the horn button has no power and that means no horn. I don't think the fuel-pak would be where I would start pointing maybe the switch itself maybe something is loose under the fuse block... at this point I would be just guessing.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 PM
jaxgirl
2nd Gear

Thank you...I thought of this, especially since that is the side I landed on...I just unplugged the wires off of the horn though, then, with a fresh fuse, turned on ignition, fuse blew ...is this sufficient, or do I need to remove the entire wire?

Thanks for your help :0)

Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 PM
jaxgirl
2nd Gear

Thank you, Ripsaw...yes, I pulled the seat off at the site of the incident as my first thought was electrical and it has been off ever since. I know the horn goes to accessary fuse, not sure about the Fuel Pak though...something is telling me it isn't Fuel Pak...I thought about the switch itself as well, but I haven't checked that yet...I will ask my neighbor that is coming to help me tomorrow to help me check that (I am definitely not an electrician/wiring person)

Old 10-29-2014, 07:36 PM
jaxgirl
2nd Gear

Good suggestion on checking for power at each fuse circuit, BLKPRLFLHTCU...I have a meter, but I need a lesson in using it...LOL...hopefully my neighbor can help me do this tomorrow (and then I will know how to do it from here on out).

Yes...I did not want to start with the Fuel Pak either, as my other friend suggested...I think it is likely something more simple (although maybe not simple to find) and less expensive...I don't want to mess with my Fuel Pak if I do not have to :0)
Thank you!

Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

You may have two issues.
The accessory fuse powers the turn signals, brake lights and horn.

The ECM fuse powers the system relay, which in turn powers the fuel pump fuse.

The ignition fuse powers the ignition system and the starting circuit.

Check the ignition fuse, fuel pump fuse and the ECM fuse.

First things first: you should find the issue with the accessory circuit before worrying about the other problems.

Time to get out the voltmeter...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-30-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:03 AM
jaxgirl
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You may have two issues.
The accessory fuse powers the turn signals, brake lights and horn.

The ECM fuse powers the system relay, which in turn powers the fuel pump fuse.

The ignition fuse powers the ignition system and the starting circuit.

Check the ignition fuse, fuel pump fuse and the ECM fuse.

First things first: you should find the issue with the accessory circuit before worrying about the other problems.

Time to get out the voltmeter...

Thank you, Dan89FLSTC! This is good advice and information. I wondered if it could be the system relay...someone said I could switch the two around to figure out if that was the issue, but checking all of the fuses for voltage first makes good sense. I just got some lessons for doing that on YouTube...thanks!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 PM
jaxgirl
2nd Gear
Smile

Figured it out! Whoop, whoop!

The biotch hit me so hard, that every wire in my throttle-side switch housing was severed in half, except two...just need to solder them back together, and my girl should be good to go!

I had a feeling it was wiring and not Fuel Pak or ECU...start with the simple stuff! I do wish that I had taken off that switch housing sooner, though...LOL...oh well, my bike got an excellent run-through from top to bottom.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice and information!