Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

TSSM B1121 Left Turn Output Fault Left Turn Comes On Intermittantly

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default TSSM B1121 Left Turn Output Fault Left Turn Comes On Intermittantly

After returning from Sturgis I noticed my left turn signal would come on intermittanly without hitting switch. Real pain and surely I was ticking off some cagers behind me . Anyways thought I'd document it since search info was scattered about. With my Power Vision pulled DTC code B1121 Left Turn Output Fault. With the key off, disconnect the TSM/TSSM connector (30A-30B) behind right side cover. This is the wiring harness connector right at the TSSM. Turn on the ignition and connect voltmeter at Pin #7 (Right white/brown) to frame ground. Now measure the voltage from Pin #8 (Left white/violet) to frame ground. In Both cases you should read Zero volts. If you read something other than 0.00 volts, you have leakage that must be corrected. I was reading around 6 volts on Pin#8 for left turn signal. BTW when signal working properly when depress switch should see around 12 volts. Anyhow I feared I may have internal wiring issue in my handlebars since I replaced them few yrs ago with Yaffe bars and did the internal wiring. So to further isolate I disconnect Left hand controls plug 24B inside fairing. I put my meter on ohms and measued between pin 1 O/W & pin 5 W/V. With the switch not depressed you should read open and when switch depressed closed 0 ohms. Without switch depressed I was reading about 600k ohms..... not good. So now to determine if it was issue inside bars or switch. I opened up left handlebar controls to access left turn signal switch. I cut 2 wire O/W & W/V about 2 inches away from switch. Then put my ohm meter on 2 wires coming directly from switch. Still got 600k ohms directly from when switch. I was very happy with this outcome as now I wouldn't have to pull the bars off and troubleshoot a wiring issue inside bars. Went to my local HD shop and got switch 71685-06A almost $60! Soldered in new switch and shrink wrapped wire and works like champ! Maybe this will help someone else in future that gets this code.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:53 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What year and model?

Originally Posted by acchd
After returning from Sturgis I noticed my left turn signal would come on intermittanly without hitting switch. Real pain and surely I was ticking off some cagers behind me . Anyways thought I'd document it since search info was scattered about. With my Power Vision pulled DTC code B1121 Left Turn Output Fault. With the key off, disconnect the TSM/TSSM connector (30A-30B) behind right side cover. This is the wiring harness connector right at the TSSM. Turn on the ignition and connect voltmeter at Pin #7 (Right white/brown) to frame ground. Now measure the voltage from Pin #8 (Left white/violet) to frame ground. In Both cases you should read Zero volts. If you read something other than 0.00 volts, you have leakage that must be corrected. I was reading around 6 volts on Pin#8 for left turn signal. BTW when signal working properly when depress switch should see around 12 volts. Anyhow I feared I may have internal wiring issue in my handlebars since I replaced them few yrs ago with Yaffe bars and did the internal wiring. So to further isolate I disconnect Left hand controls plug 24B inside fairing. I put my meter on ohms and measued between pin 1 O/W & pin 5 W/V. With the switch not depressed you should read open and when switch depressed closed 0 ohms. Without switch depressed I was reading about 600k ohms..... not good. So now to determine if it was issue inside bars or switch. I opened up left handlebar controls to access left turn signal switch. I cut 2 wire O/W & W/V about 2 inches away from switch. Then put my ohm meter on 2 wires coming directly from switch. Still got 600k ohms directly from when switch. I was very happy with this outcome as now I wouldn't have to pull the bars off and troubleshoot a wiring issue inside bars. Went to my local HD shop and got switch 71685-06A almost $60! Soldered in new switch and shrink wrapped wire and works like champ! Maybe this will help someone else in future that gets this code.
What year and model bike was this? My buddy's bike I am working on has same issue.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I think a loose strand of wire, can happen on any bike.

Has he lubed the cables lately? I had a short to my TSSM after lubing cables. Bike would start with housing open, blow fuse with it together. Cleaned it up a littler a squirted some RTV in there.