Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2003 custom built pro street chopper turns over but no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:43 PM
dwolf123
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 custom built pro street chopper turns over but no spark

i just purchased a 2003 custom built pro street soft tail chopper which was built on one of the biker build off tv shows therefore it soesnt have a factory wiring harness.
In process of loading the bike to ship to me,the bottom of the bike came in contact with something that pealed part of the wiring insulation back but did not completely cut wires into. seems the wires contacted metal shorting something out as the bike turns over but there is no spark,the bike ran fine the day before.
the bike came with an adjustable DYNA digital performance ignition ,i guess this would also be called the ECM,rev limiter and timing can be adjusted.
1st thing i did was ck battery,all grounds,look for other wiring problems,non found. so i took the ECM from my 2003 Dyna wide glide,which runs great,took the ECM off the soft tail,put it on the Dyna,same issue,turns over,no spark. is there anything i needed to have done to get the ECM from one bike to work on the other,resetting ECM for example? tried the Dyna ECM on the soft tail,still same issue,turns over no spark.
there are only two circuit breakers on the soft tail,no fuses,also no turn signal module as there are no turn signals,no start/run switch,horn,relays ect. it has a key switch between the 2 coils mounted between the cylinders where my Dyna has 1coil mounted behind the second cylinder with its own plug,soft tail coils are wired in the same harness as key switch or i would have traded out the coils as well.
there is a crank sensor,map sensor.
back to the woring that was damaged. it is right after a large plug in line going for stater/alternator to voltage regulator which is mounted inside the primary between sprockets. ive not been able to get to it as the loctite used wont allow me to remove bottom two screws in primary cover,removing top two was a real bitch.
sorry about this being such a long thread, i wanted to give as much info as i could hoping it will help one of you help me. thank you for you time

Old 04-08-2017, 10:30 AM
dwolf123
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have literally tried everything and still no spark

I have literally tried everything and still no spark I found out my coils are good, has a new plugs , I got a reading on the multi meter from the crank position sensor it seems everything is communicating all the way up to the ignition module so I replaced ignition module with you ignition module from my Dyna wide glide which is a 2003 model I found out the engine on the pro street custom bike that I just acquired is a 2001 dyna motor. Both bikes are carbureted, so I assumed they would use the same ignition module the pro street has a Aftermarket Dyna Digital performance ignition we can adjust the timing and the rev limiter . This ignition module seems to not be working but I don't understand why putting a good ignition module on there I still don't getting spark ,I just discovered something has anyone ever heard of the voltage regulator being mounted inside the primary I can't even get to it because I can't get the primary part because when we built it they put so much loctite in there with the fasteners are seized up I can't get them loose.why would anyone put the voltage regulator inside the primary in all that heat,when the ship the bike to me that drug very bottom of the bike on something and it damage the wires from the rectifier to the voltage regulator is the only damage where it peeled the insulator off the wires. I've probably getting so mixed up now that you all don't have a clue what I'm talking about but to make a long story short everything that I have checked on the bike as far as like Tronics is working except ignition module of course I don't know if the The rectifier and voltage regulator or working because I haven't gotten the bike started . When the wiring was damage though it blew both headlights out and apparently big mission module but how can the wiring from the stater to the rectifier getting damage caused any problems anywhere else I am driving myself nuts trying to figure this thing out especially since it's custom built there is no manual to go by