Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

coil ground wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:32 PM
ncottrell2009
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil ground wire

ok i have gone thru all the wiring on my 83 xls and i see no frayed or damaged wires. i can see no reason why this bike won't spark, now i have removed a lot of the wires that go to horn blinkers and such i also removed stock ignition module, senser plate and put in a dyna s. now i was going through my trouble shooting guide and it says one problem could be a loose defective ground off the coil? an it points to a picturethat looks like there is a black wire coming off the side of the coil. my bike never had a direct ground coming off the coil so am i missing something here? when i removed unused wiring yes i did remove some grounds but could one of them been a coil ground and if i need a ground on the coil can i just go from frame to neg on the coil or what? any input would be appreciated, Nick

Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 PM
DDDDylan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attached an ignition wiring schematic from the 1979 manual (99484-79). Starting from one end, there should be a white wire from your engine stop switch that supplies +12VDC to one primary (low voltage side) terminal of your ignition coil when your key and engine stop switch are on. Coil polarity should not matter. From that same primary terminal, there should be a white wire running down to the ignition module pocket to supply +12VDC to the ignition module. From the OTHER ignition coil primary terminal there should be a blue wire that runs to your ignition module. This is a ground for the coil that is switched by the ignition module. Finally, your ignition module should be grounded.

According to the book, resistance across your ignition coil primary terminals should be 4.7-5.7 ohms. Resistance across the secondary (high voltage side) terminals should be 16-20k ohms.

The original ignition module sensor calls for 0.005-.011" air gap between the sensor and the lobes on the rotating trigger/cam/rotor.

Attached Thumbnails coil ground wire-ignition.jpg