Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition mystery

Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 AM
kevinrdc
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition mystery

Hi Everyone,
I've been dealing with the same issue since August of 2012. I'm at a loss, hopefully someone can help me here. I'll preface this with I'm really only focusing on ignition/electrical at this point.

I've got a 2001 Sportster 1200C with 33,000 miles on it. It's stock except for the pipes. I'm the third owner of it and have put about 3000 miles on it since August of 2011. Only issue in those 3,000 miles has been the odd hick-up or backfire, but nothing that stopped the bike from running.

In August of 2012 I went to start the bike, wouldn't start. My mechanic switched the coil with an Accell dual fire one and the ignition module with a Dyna unit and off I went.

Since those 2 parts have been changed I've only been able to ride the bike 30-40 minutes and then the ignition cuts out. The only common demominator is the amount of time, 30-40 minutes. It happens in all gears, all throttle positions, all speeds. I pull over, turn the bike off then on and it fires up and I can ride. It'll cut out again shortly after and sometimes not start at all. When it doesn't start I pull the plugs and don't have spark. I let the bike cool down for 30 minutes and it fires up and I can ride it for another 30 minutes. When the bike cuts out, it's instant. I still have electrical power, but no ignition.

There's the symptoms, here's what my mechanic and I have done to try to fix it.

3 coils. 2 Accel and 1 Harley - same results
3 seperate ignition modules, all Dyna - same results
2 new sets of plugs, TDK and Harley - same results
2 sets of Plug wires, Harley and Accel - same results.
New Harley Bank Angle Sensor - same result
Tested the Stator - no issue's. Works perfectly
Tested the Voltage regulator - Works perfectly
Wired the ECU out - same result so wired the ECU back in
Checked all the wiring connections - all good.
Cleaned all the vent lines from the tank and carb - no issue's.
Checked the key ignition, no issues
Checked the kill switch, no issues
I don't have a Trapdoor Solenoid (not a Calif bike)
I can't think of anything else that we've tried.

- We haven't checked the VOES. Would that cause the bike to not fire?
- My mechanic is suggesting we replace the crank sensor next. Thoughts? Also, what does the crank sensor feed? Does it send info to the ECU - if so, I doubt that's it cause we wired it out and the problem didn't go away.
- What about the Dyna ignition module vs a Harley one? I called my local Harley dealer and they immediately think it's the ignition module since it's not a Harley part - which didn't shock me since I called Harley
- What about timing? I believe that's mostly handled by the ignition module on XLH1200C's

So my question is, what do you think the issue is?

I'm at a loss. I've replaced almost every part in the ignition system (some multiple times) and I still have the same result.

I'm pretty sure I've put everything that I know about the problem and what we've tried so far. If you think I missed something, please ask.

Thanks guys.
Kevin

Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

maybes......the bell behind the ignition module might be loose and moving around (stranger things have happened) .....bad wire to the coil (low voltage side), I would check where the wires goes into the crimp on plug.....and the plug that is under the engine/trans for the spark controller....bad battery ground strap (ohm it between the battery and somewhere on the frame) ....intermitant ground for coil maybe....loose or cracked wire to igniton/on/off switches...

Old 05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
kevinrdc
6th Gear

Thanks for the input.
All the wiring is new. We ran new wires to eliminate them.
Also, the ignition module that's in there now is a Dynatek DS6-1 which looks to have 2 wires, but the Harley module looks to have 5. Dynatek website says it'll work.

I'm seriously considering taking the Dynatek out and replacing it with a new Harley one.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Winweg12
Intermediate

Did you solve the problem?

Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 AM
TonyGinFla
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may or may not help. I have two Sportsters ... a 1989 model and a 2006 model and manuals for both of them. The 1989 model has thermally tripped circuit breakers in key circuits including the ignition circuit. I don't see that type of breaker in the 2006 Sportster's schematics. When the thermal breakers overload they shut down their circuits until the breaker cools down. It sounds a lot like the problem that you are having (bad breaker), but I don't know if Harley was still using that type of circuit breaker in 2001.