EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Shift Shaft Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:01 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by D_gyver
I only have one problem with your lever its to strong. on my shovel head I was hitting the shifter a little hard at the track. instead of the lever failing like it should. it broke the weld on your shifter shaft inside the transmission.
I know it was my fault but it still sucked I had to pull the transmission apart to fix it instead of just replacing a stripped lever.
That's Bert's fault, he over engineers everything, I guess the next step is a titanium shifter pawl. Wonder what that will cost.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:16 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
That's Bert's fault, he over engineers everything, I guess the next step is a titanium shifter pawl. Wonder what that will cost.
ive got an idea how about a shifter shaft machined out of one piece of steel instead of welding it

Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Banned

ive got an idea how about a shifter shaft machined out of one piece of steel instead of welding it
It could be done but it would get pricey, we actually revised our pawls this year so that the shaft going through the pawl body is counter sunk further through the body. The more material you have to work with the better weld that can be achieved. We really had to walk the tight tight rope with it though because if we have too much material sticking through the body of the pawl it can contact the gear.Baby steps towards perfection.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:26 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
It could be done but it would get pricey, we actually revised our pawls this year so that the shaft going through the pawl body is counter sunk further through the body. The more material you have to work with the better weld that can be achieved. We really had to walk the tight tight rope with it though because if we have too much material sticking through the body of the pawl it can contact the gear.Baby steps towards perfection.

im getting ready to build another transmission have you done any tests on the new revision. how much stronger is it vs the old one??

Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Pinetop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished the installation of the baker drivetrain shifter shaft. It is difficult and you will not find step-by-step instrutions out there. I memorized the manual with regard to the transmissions and then took my time. If I were to do it again I would take more pictures during the tear down to clear up difficulties in putting the forks and drum back together. I am back on the road and happy again.

Pinetop

Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Banned

im getting ready to build another transmission have you done any tests on the new revision. how much stronger is it vs the old one??
We have almost doubled the amount of material we are welding together so I would say quite a bit stronger.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pinetop
I just finished the installation of the baker drivetrain shifter shaft. It is difficult and you will not find step-by-step instrutions out there. I memorized the manual with regard to the transmissions and then took my time. If I were to do it again I would take more pictures during the tear down to clear up difficulties in putting the forks and drum back together. I am back on the road and happy again.

Pinetop
This may help: