EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Squeaking primary...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Squeaking primary...

94 Softail... I put in the M-6 mechanical auto primary chain tensioner. Seemed very well made, and fit in perfectly. Subjectively, the bike does shift better, and indeed seems to be smoother, though it is hard too say why, since I did a lot of other engine work.
Anyway, the bike makes a distinctive "chirp/squeak" when cold and you roll quickly off throttle, especially in lower gears and when cold. Seems to go away when warm. I'm puling the primary off tomorrow to change out clutch plates-they are worn. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for or if they have had a similar problem.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That squeekin is probably your drive belt rubbin on the side of the tranny pulley. I'ld check the wheel alignment first. If your alignment is OK and you Have to get rid of the squeek, then dab a few light smears of vasoline on the sides of your belt. I normally use HD belt lube, but it's more expensive. I've heard that vasoline works just a good and obviously is cheaper!
jim

Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

It sounds more like your drive belt is just a bit loose. A simple 1/4 to 1/2 tightening turn on your rear wheel adjusters will confirm this. When mine was making the chirps I could swear it was coming from the primary, but it was actually coming from behind the primary.

I'd at least give it a shot before going into the primary again.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by PanHeadRich; 04-25-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard a chirp can be caused by using certain types of wrong primary lubricant.
I have a chirp that drives me crazy. I thought it was in the fairing, but if I lower my ear to the primary, I can hear it in there. I'm dealing with it until it's oil change time.
I did align the tire and adjust the belt tension, but to no avail.
Mine only chirps when the clutch is engaged, rolling the throttle and moving.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Jethro
Cruiser

Thanks for some great ideas... just got back from a drive and it is something I will address tomorrow or Friday. I'll start with checking alignment and best tension, since both of those WERE changed in the rebuild, AND I did use a different primary lube this time... hmmmm. I'll post back.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

I get the same symptom on my bike in cold weather. I believe it's caused by the belt being a touch loose (which is more likely when the bike is cold).

Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Got some Pig spit (silicone) on my belt and it sounded like birds chirping, a shot of Wd-40 stopped it, been quiet ever since, about 5000 miles ago.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at both the front and rear pulleys and look for any abnormal pitting in between the teeth. Sometimes air can into any deep pits and cause the belt to float. This is a very rare issue!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was alignment would it go away when the bike warms up? I have a similar issue when the bike is cold. You let off on the throttle and you hear a chirp. It doesn't last very long, just a single noise that goes away until the next time you let off the throttle. Since it isn't constant it make me think the belt tension is something to check. I haven't been real worried about it because after a few miles it seems to go away.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Jethro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I get the same symptom on my bike in cold weather. I believe it's caused by the belt being a touch loose (which is more likely when the bike is cold).
OK... problem solved. Checked the pulley and alignment, looked good. I did NOT know the belt TIGHTENED as it got warm. Good knowledge. The belt, using the 10 pound tool to verify, was about 1/8 to 3/16th loose as best as I could tell (not easy). Tightened my adjuster nuts 1/2 turn and that did it, no squeak. Who would think. I will say, that I did install a new Drag Specialties pulley, and maybe it is making belt adjustment more critical. A very good mechanic also recommended getting the Harley belt dressing. Sharp guy, and I trust his advice. Thanks for the good tips, maybe this thread will help someone in the future. I could have SWORN the noise was coming from the primary.