Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cobra Speedster Short Swept vs Vance & Hines Big Radius

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:03 PM
shimaze
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Arrow Cobra Speedster Short Swept vs Vance & Hines Big Radius

Has anyone ever tried Cobra's Speedster Short Swept pipes? I have a 2011 Road Glide and I am trying to decide between the Cobra & V&H radius pipes.

The advantage that the Cobra has over the V&H is the crossover pipe that connects the two pipes. Cobra has what they call a power chamber that they claim brings the power back to that of a 2-1? The Cobra also has a limited lifetime warranty whereas the V&H does not. The V&H does have a good reputation and has been around for many years.

Does anyone have any recommendations? There is tons of info about the V&H Big Radius, but nothing on the Cobra Speedster Short Swept?

Thanks, Shimaze

Fuelmoto's Cobra 6230

Fuelmoto's V&H Big Radius

Old 11-27-2015, 08:41 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Cobra > V&H. V&H has lost a lot of their good reputation as of late...

Old 11-27-2015, 08:49 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Cobra > V&H. V&H has lost a lot of their good reputation as of late...
I'll agree with that. When the mount at the transmission snapped completely in half for my short shots I contacted V&H and they didn't want anything to do with me. I even offered to pay for just a replacement mount, they wouldn't do anything for me. Still have that whole V&H system in my garage taking up space.

But if you're looking for any sort of low end power, I would avoid both pipes. Much better performing (and looking IMO) pipes out there.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 11-27-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:00 AM
shimaze
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking I ended up getting the Speedster Duals!

I ended up buying the Cobra Speedster Duals. It gave me the look I wanted. I wanted to something that left the back wheel open & more visible. When I get a Harley Aggressor rear wheel, I want to be able to see it. The fat mufflers block a lot of the rear making it a bit pointless spending big $$$ on a rear wheel. The full-length 2.5" shields of the Speedster Duals give a slim & seamless appearance that will hide the ugly black swing arm and help avoid the dirt bike look that was an unwanted side effect of the radius pipes. Plus the two pipes, out back and on each side, will help even out the back when I get a Street Glide rear fascia

I hope the performance will be as close to a 2-1 pipe as Cobra claims. Cobra claims "Because of the Cobra PowerPort--a unique crossover that connects the front and rear head pipes, this system performs like a true 2-into-1 pipe with the clean look of a traditional dual system". I called them and asked what the performance difference was between the Speedster Duals and their PowrFlo 2-1. While they were nice to talk to, I didn't really get a straight answer. I also asked what the difference was between the Speedster Duals and the Power Port Dual headpipes with a fat slip on muffler like the Race-Pro 4" Slip-Ons? What is wrong with taking a bike with an air cleaner, cam, and a tune, and trying both or multiple exhausts on the same bike? Install the exhausts within a couple of hours and put it on the dyno for each pipe?

The heat & sound will be out back and away from BOB. The radius pipes, although looking bad ***, also look like it created an obvious problems. But never having ridden a bike with radius pipes, I cannot say for sure. I do believe that most people with radius pipes don't get any complaints from BOB. Also the routing of the straight duals was much better tucked away from the floor boards than the radius pipes.

It will be a while before I get a chance to put the exhaust on. I am contemplating going ahead with an Andrews 57H while I have the exhaust off. That would round out my package and give me a nice HP increase without getting too crazy. Anything more than that and I am going to hold out for a 120R!

Thanks for all your advice as I feel it steered me in the right direction. Thanks, Shimaze

*Just FYI: BOB is the boss on back, …She doesn’t like the other word!

**The link is for the 6973, but I got the 6972 because it is the 2009 version with the 18mm O2 bungs. I also ordered the Dynojet Power Vision with Target Tune that uses the bigger bungs for the wide bands. The 6972 is no longer produced by Cobra, so I had to get them off of eBay. Why don’t they make all exhausts with an 18mm bung hole and include an 18mm to 12mm reducer?

Cobra’s Speedster Duals