General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Wide Glide First Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:02 AM
That Guy Who Wants A Harley
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Wide Glide First Bike?

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy a Harley when I have the cash, that much has always been certain. Looking around I love the look of the 2004 Dyna Wide Glide but have heard the Street Bob is better for first timers. I like the SB but would prefer the WG asthetically.

Or should I just get something smaller like a Honda Rebel for a few years before I move on up? I'm 17 now and am doing my CBT this August, I'd be aiming to save for one by the end of next year.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:12 AM
CouchMaster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me the Dyna's are like big Sportsters - not much heavier and easy to muscle around. I have a 13' Street Bob at the moment and love it. I really wanted the Wide Glide because of the longer wheel base and wide front end which makes it very easy to put a 16" fat tire on the front for long highway trips; not that the 19" is bad but you have stay on top of it because of the grooves in the road. But, they didn't have one in my price range --- so SB.
Save your money on buying a smaller bike and go for the WG, you will be glad you did.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:21 AM
harleyhombre
6th Gear

I think the Honda may be a good idea just to get your feet wet, then get your Harley.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,749 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyhombre
I think the Honda may be a good idea just to get your feet wet, then get your Harley.
I strongly disagree. Get your Harley as soon as you can afford it, otherwise you'll lose money trading in your Honda, etc. Harleys are easy to ride.

The WG is a cool-looking bike. Go with what your gut tells you, and you'll never have second thoughts.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:35 AM
CouchMaster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing to consider is that the WG has forward controls and the SB has mid controls. I like the 10" mini apes and the mids on my SB.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Bozza
1st Gear

Personally i think it is best to take all the bikes you like for a test ride

There is always one that will suit you best.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Bozza
1st Gear

Don't forget to add a Fat Bob to that list

Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I strongly disagree. Get your Harley as soon as you can afford it, otherwise you'll lose money trading in your Honda, etc. Harleys are easy to ride.

The WG is a cool-looking bike. Go with what your gut tells you, and you'll never have second thoughts.
This is such an old argument between us all, you could be right tmac, or he could drop a new WG and lose more than any trade. If you buy a USED honda you won't lose much money, and you MAY be better prepared for a big bike, half of us will say start small, half of us will say go for it.
That said, I got a WG as my first bike, and the first few hours, then months- were humbling. Just go MSF, read all you can, listen to the experienced rider that don't seem crazy and ride safe. Rubberside.

Last edited by Blackfly; 06-22-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior

WideGlides are cool bikes. I had an '04 for eight years. One thing to keep in mind about the WG....it has a more raked front end and doesn't turn as sharply as other bikes. Handles a little differently.....and it's a 21" front tire not a 19".

If nobody has mentioned it to you, you should take the MSF course. You will need as much experience as you can get. Welcome to the forum!

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Wide Glide First Bike?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Roger That; 06-22-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger That
WideGlides are cool bikes. I had an '04 for eight years. One thing to keep in mind about the WG....it has a more raked front end and doesn't turn as sharply as other bikes. Handles a little differently.....and it's a 21" front tire not a 19".

If nobody has mentioned it to you, you should take the MSF course. You will need as much experience as you can get. Welcome to the forum.
Yes widglides are not user friendly especially for slow speed U-turns for a new rider.

Quick Reply: Dyna Wide Glide First Bike?