Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help an old Gearhead pick a tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Help an old Gearhead pick a tuner

Hello all,
I am used to old school engines with points and carbs. In high school I almost always had the car to beat. Back in those days tuning was done with jets, accelerator pumps, points, springs, weights... My current hot rods are a 500 hp big block 66 Chevy Pick up and a paughco framed buell (carbed).
I am sure the concepts of air/ fuel ratio and timing advance are still the same with efi. Just need a computer to do the job.
My Slim is currently stage 1 with a cobra fuel management system. The short term plan is to install drop in cams (57H), better tuner, better exhaust, and ride. Long term: heads, increase displacement, hotter cams.
The tuner threads I have read offer useful information but I still have questions.
It seems to me that the wide band tuners are useful when the base map is not close. If the base map is close it seems a narrow band should do the job.
I want a tuner that gives me the data I need but is user friendly.
Also one with many starting base maps would be nice. Which tuner is best for the guy who changes his engine set ups a lot and does his own tuning? Give me the pros and cons of the tuners you guys run.

Thanks to all who reply

Old 10-17-2014, 02:23 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS103
Hello all,
I am used to old school engines with points and carbs. In high school I almost always had the car to beat. Back in those days tuning was done with jets, accelerator pumps, points, springs, weights... My current hot rods are a 500 hp big block 66 Chevy Pick up and a paughco framed buell (carbed).
I am sure the concepts of air/ fuel ratio and timing advance are still the same with efi. Just need a computer to do the job.
My Slim is currently stage 1 with a cobra fuel management system. The short term plan is to install drop in cams (57H), better tuner, better exhaust, and ride. Long term: heads, increase displacement, hotter cams.
The tuner threads I have read offer useful information but I still have questions.
It seems to me that the wide band tuners are useful when the base map is not close. If the base map is close it seems a narrow band should do the job.
I want a tuner that gives me the data I need but is user friendly.
Also one with many starting base maps would be nice. Which tuner is best for the guy who changes his engine set ups a lot and does his own tuning? Give me the pros and cons of the tuners you guys run.

Thanks to all who reply
Sounds like we have pretty similar backgrounds.
I suggest you look at The Dynojet Power Vision. Standard narrow band should get you by with a decent base map. Autotune is automated (easy to use) and will tweak the VE's for individual bikes and set-ups.

http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/

Review the info on-line, then call Fuel Moto and tell them what you want to do. They can provide a PV (or other tuner) with a good base map already loaded. Good people with excellent support, and lifetime maps...I think this would be useful to you.

Great people to work with and probably the best support in the business.
They are a forum sponsor and very well liked around here.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Old 10-17-2014, 02:29 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

SEPST and TTS are both very good and have a good selection of MAPs, Power Vision is excellent but there MAP database is lacking at this time in my opinion but it is very user friendly. You'll find most of the opinions you get here are going to be from people that only have "X" brand tuner and love it because that's all they know. I tune all of them on my dyno and am very familiar with their features, but my experience with auto tuning, self tuning, v-tuning or any of that lacks because I have no need to do that type of tuning. All the ones I mentioned with collect the same data for you to make your adjustments. The SEPST and TTS you will need to hool up your laptop, the Vision has it's own monitor and for the most part you can do everything from it. If you do want to put the MAP from the vision onto a computer you just the the Vision to the computer instead of taking the computer to the bike. Another neat feature with the Vision is that you can mount it to your bike and monitor run conditions on the fly, you can also look at a grid and it will tell you what cells of the MAP you are hitting while you ride which should make your tuning that much easier. Like anything else computer related, once you are familiar with the programming and do it a couple times it becomes easier. Good luck.

Chad

Old 10-18-2014, 06:03 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what year your bike is, but I personally like the Thundermax. It's a wide band closed loop system with an autotune feature that can easily accommodate major upgrades to your motor after you've installed it. Software is easy to use, you can install the thundermax (it's a complete ECM replacement) yourself in about 45 minutes and be on the road in about an hour. The more you ride, the better your tune gets.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:27 AM
gmeikle
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used the older SERT system , the "newer" TTS system ( they have the same origin )

And I have used the now current HD offering the SEPST Supertuner

A learning curve for all of them.

My choice ? The TTS system. Ease of use and GREAT backup support if you need it.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:28 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Think I have it narrowed down to TTS and Powervision. Going to do a bit more research. Thank you to all who replied

Old 10-20-2014, 06:29 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Think I have it narrowed down to TTS and Powervision. Going to do a bit more research. Thank you to all who replied

In my opinion those are both very good choices. Good luck

Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

I think you've picked the two best options. You can expect similar results from either. Continue to research and decide which best suits your needs.