Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TSM Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
tata455
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSM Question

I am trying to help a friend out witha Turn Signal Cancel Problem and planning to swap some parts to isolate the culprit.
I know this has been discussed a lot and I read everything I could find, but I need some clarification on a couple things.
{All questions regarding a 2005 Electra Glide Classic}

1st Question. If you have NO security system on a Carb bike and replace the TSM due to a defective one, does there need to be a sync process performed? Or can you just put the new one in?

2nd Question. If you are going to remove a Security System - take out the TSSM and install a TSM, will you need to Sync the new TSM?

3rd Question. Can you remove a TSM or TSSM from a bike and reinstall in the same bikewithout any Sync required? Or do you have to do it every time you take it out?

4th Question. When I read the Password Learnprocedure to do it yourself, it appears you are doing the same thing over and over, 3 times to be exact. Is that correct?? Can anyone explain what is going on each time?

5th Question. Anything different between Carb and EFI bike and what is required?

6th and last Question. It appears there are two procedures. Maybe three. Anyway if you can clarify....
- 1. Mary the TSSM and ECM to each other
- 2. Program the Key FOB to the TSSM
Is that it or is there more to the install of a Security System? And I can find the Mary procedure, but have not found the Key FOB Program procedure - Can you steer me to it.

Thanks for the help in advance!! [8D][/align]

Old 01-06-2008, 04:27 PM
tata455
Advanced
Default RE: TSM Question

TTT - Anyone able to lend a hand??

Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 PM
tata455
Advanced

OK - I pulled out the Security System and dropped in the regular TSM and guess what - No Go. So I must have to Sync them together. I didn't know that a regular TSM still needs tohave this done. I thought just the TSSM required that. I sure could use some knowledgeable assistance here. Local dealer said it would work. NOT!! LOL, so I guess asking him was no help. Manual says.... Buy another manual to trouble shoot electrical problems. That sucks - Wish I would have known that one before so I could have ordered both manuals at the same time. So, any help would be great here - Thanks in advance!! If anyone is wondering why I am doing this...... I want to put the security system on one of my other bikes.

The current symptom is cranks, starts for a sec. and then goes dead. [&o] [>:][/align]

Old 01-26-2008, 09:17 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a security standpoint - it makes sense that there is a need to match the ECM and the TSSM. Otherwise, stealing your ride would be as simple as pulling one and plugging in another. It was always my understanding that once yousynced the TSSM and ECM there was no going back.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:10 AM
tata455
Advanced

I agree that they made this so you have to sync them to prevent instant ability to defeat the security and steal a bike. But it would be nice to get some solid information regarding if you can roll back to a TSM once a TSSM is installed. My guess is that you can, you just have to sync them again. If you take the info below at face value, they just need to learn to communicate with each other on the Sytems Buss. I just found the Post below. It is one of the better write-ups I have found on this subject. But here is the deal. If you look at the PDF at the link provided, it says on a Carbed bike, you don't need to sync the TSM/TSSM. But it is also dated 2002, so my guess is that sometime after 2002, they changed this and now you have to sync them even on a Carbed bike. There is a comment to that effect saying in 2004 this changed. I would just like to see the new procedure that addresses a Carded 2005 Model, thus providing updated information for everyone. Regardless, I am going to give the procedure a try in the morning. Hopefully is is the same, hasn't changed any andwill solve everything.

One little thing I did discover - How to tell if you have a TSM or TSSM....... TSSM's have a FCC compliance statement on them because of the RF circuitry in it for the security system. The TSM does not have this circuitry, so no FCC statement. Just one simple quick way to know what style you have!![/align]
This was posted by:

HDF Tech

titleAndStar(14559,0,0,false,",")
Extreme HDF Member

https://www.hdforums.com/m_67806/tm.htm
================================================== ================================================== =========================
Harley ECM Password Learn Procedure

Available here also....

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...8_password.pdf

When installing a new ignition(ICM) or ECM on a security-equipped Harley there is a "Password Learn" procedure that must be performed. This applies to all Twin Cam and V-Rod models with factory security but may also apply to Twin Cam's with EFI. The TSM/TSSM and ECM have "learned" passwords that synchronize the control module with several other components. Once you remove a component from this chain the module shuts down and won't start. This is reported to only occur with EFI models but the new 2004 carbureted models demonstrate the same shut-down when changing the ignition module.

Once you have installed the ignition module and reconnected the battery, perform the starting sequence as normal. The engine will cough once in an effort to start but will fail when the module shuts off the fuel.

Special Note: During the Password Learning procedure the ignition will remain in the "On" position for an extended period of time (30+ minutes). While "On", power is supplied to the headlight thus draining the battery. If the battery charge drops below a certain level during the Password Learn procedure the process will cease and you will have to start over. To avoid this connect a trickle charger to the battery throughout the procedure.

TSM/TSSM ECM Password Learn Procedure
Step Action Confirmation Notes

1 Set Run switch to Run

2 Turn Ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On and then toggle
the Left Turn Signal switch twice.

3 Turn Ignition key Off-On Verify the Check Engine lamp and Security Lamp illuminate
briefly and then turn off Security lamp will not illuminate on non-security
(TSM) Twin Cam m

Old 01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
tata455
Advanced

Here is all I can tell you. Procedure did not work. Tried it twice as described. The good news is that I could put the original TSSM back in and it still works like it did, so at least I didn't screw it up!! I am starting to wonder if the TSM I have is not the right one? I was told by the dealer that it was, but he also said it would not require the sync process, so I am loosing faith in his advice. TSM PN: 68920-01A - If you look at this list of TSM/TSSM in HD TSB M-1113, I have a 2002 unit and maybe that is not compatible with 2004 and newer ECM's?? That TSB talks about changes made to the ECM in 2002 that require "A" revision TSM's\TSSM's. So I can surmise that there may be even more changes in later years that would require a specific Rev TSM\SSM. Like I said earlier, we need some up to date info on this topic. Everything posted is old. Come on Techno Wizards out there - How about lending a Hand. I think it would need to someone with access to the Harley TSB's and Manuals.

We Need:
[ul][*]List of TSM and TSSM and what years they work in.[*]Procedures for different years [/ul]