Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1990 flhtcu power and grounds check

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1990 flhtcu power and grounds check

OK, I need a little help here. On the 22nd of May I am going on a 400 mile ride to Philadelphia to Geno's and Pat's with my wife and 25 other bikes for our annual Philly Cheese Steak Run. I need my bike to be in tip top shape. The first time my wife was ever on it was when I had the following electrical issues. This was also the first time I rode the bike at night.
I have power issues with my FLHTCU. I have a flopping eradic volt meter, my radio fuse popped for no reason, the 5 amp POD mystery fuse that is under the clutch side rear cover popped. When I first got the bike the radio would shut off when I grabbed the front brake. It was a ground issue under the fairing. I repaired it. After 250 miles of trouble free riding I was riding around at night for the first time with the side bag lights and the spot lights on. The radio started making a wierd noise when I grabbed the front brake. Then.. the radio stopped responding. It was frozen in the on position and none of its controls worked. Then.. it made a fairly loud buzzing noise, the tach jumped to 8K, the volt meter dropped to 0 and the bike almost stalled. The radio went black. I checked the electrical system and my battery was getting a consistant 13.8-14.1v when running. I went back out riding and after about 10 miles the dash lights dimmed, tach jumped to 8K again, voltmeter dropped to 0 and the bike almost stalled again. It cleared itself up and I made it home with no problems. I took the fairing off and discovered the 5 amp radio fuse was blown, the 5 amp POD fuse under the clutch side cover was blown too. I replaced the POD fuse and it didn't seem to do anything. I replaced the 5 amp radio fuse and it works perfect. I replaced all 4 breakers under the fairing and it seemed to stabilize the voltmeter a fair amount. I then decided to replace the main 30 amp breaker and the battery cables. The battery cables looked fine on the outside but when I peeled back the insulation they were pretty rough near the lugs. I ordered new ones and they came in last night.
I need to know what else to check before I put the bike back together. Here is what I did so far.
I checked all the wires for chafing or oxidation.
I replaced all 4 15 amp breakers under the fairing
I removed all 8 grounds from the main ground bar under the fairing and cleaned all the quick disconnects and replaced the ones that were in bad shape.
I added an extra ground wire from my regulator to a ground point under the fairing.
I replaced the 30 amp main breaker that is next to the starter relay on the brake side of the bike under the side cover.
The starter relay is new.
I replaced the battery cables. They were in pretty rough shape.
The battery has been tested and is in fine shape.

Are there any other ground or power points I should check?

Last edited by jgcable; 05-11-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How about the main ground wire under the engine to the frame usually an uninsulated braided wire

Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
How about the main ground wire under the engine to the frame usually an uninsulated braided wire
I will check it out. They don't mention it in the service manual.

Anything else? I want to make sure I address everything before I fire the bike up tonight.