Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1990 flhtcu power and grounds check

Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1990 flhtcu power and grounds check

OK, I need a little help here. On the 22nd of May I am going on a 400 mile ride to Philadelphia to Geno's and Pat's with my wife and 25 other bikes for our annual Philly Cheese Steak Run. I need my bike to be in tip top shape. The first time my wife was ever on it was when I had the following electrical issues. This was also the first time I rode the bike at night.
I have power issues with my FLHTCU. I have a flopping eradic volt meter, my radio fuse popped for no reason, the 5 amp POD mystery fuse that is under the clutch side rear cover popped. When I first got the bike the radio would shut off when I grabbed the front brake. It was a ground issue under the fairing. I repaired it. After 250 miles of trouble free riding I was riding around at night for the first time with the side bag lights and the spot lights on. The radio started making a wierd noise when I grabbed the front brake. Then.. the radio stopped responding. It was frozen in the on position and none of its controls worked. Then.. it made a fairly loud buzzing noise, the tach jumped to 8K, the volt meter dropped to 0 and the bike almost stalled. The radio went black. I checked the electrical system and my battery was getting a consistant 13.8-14.1v when running. I went back out riding and after about 10 miles the dash lights dimmed, tach jumped to 8K again, voltmeter dropped to 0 and the bike almost stalled again. It cleared itself up and I made it home with no problems. I took the fairing off and discovered the 5 amp radio fuse was blown, the 5 amp POD fuse under the clutch side cover was blown too. I replaced the POD fuse and it didn't seem to do anything. I replaced the 5 amp radio fuse and it works perfect. I replaced all 4 breakers under the fairing and it seemed to stabilize the voltmeter a fair amount. I then decided to replace the main 30 amp breaker and the battery cables. The battery cables looked fine on the outside but when I peeled back the insulation they were pretty rough near the lugs. I ordered new ones and they came in last night.
I need to know what else to check before I put the bike back together. Here is what I did so far.
I checked all the wires for chafing or oxidation.
I replaced all 4 15 amp breakers under the fairing
I removed all 8 grounds from the main ground bar under the fairing and cleaned all the quick disconnects and replaced the ones that were in bad shape.
I added an extra ground wire from my regulator to a ground point under the fairing.
I replaced the 30 amp main breaker that is next to the starter relay on the brake side of the bike under the side cover.
The starter relay is new.
I replaced the battery cables. They were in pretty rough shape.
The battery has been tested and is in fine shape.

Are there any other ground or power points I should check?

Last edited by jgcable; 05-11-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How about the main ground wire under the engine to the frame usually an uninsulated braided wire

Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
How about the main ground wire under the engine to the frame usually an uninsulated braided wire
I will check it out. They don't mention it in the service manual.

Anything else? I want to make sure I address everything before I fire the bike up tonight.