Sponsored by:

Updraft/billowing shirt problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Jagpanzer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updraft/billowing shirt problem

Traded in my '02 RKC last week for a '14 FLHTK. Man is she a sweet ride. Everything regarding airflow/windshield/etc. is stock.

My problem is that at speeds greater than 40 or 50 my T-shirt will start billowing out and filling with air. I feel like the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man. If I wear a jacket or my leather vest I have no issues as they keep everything in place. I'm having a hard time figuring out if the air is from an updraft or coming in through my short sleeves.

Anyone else experience this? I've tried messing with the adjustable wings which does direct more air right at me but doesn't fix the shirt problem. I was curious if the fangs would help that at all.

I guess I should try wearing a long sleeve shirt to pinpoint the location of the air as I'd sure love to fix/figure out this problem.

Thanks everyone - I enjoy reading this forum and have learned quite a bit.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 AM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

In this hot weather we been having, I find that a very welcome bonus.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Jagpanzer
Advanced

Haha - yeah, it's been warm around here too. Though I swear if my head were a little smaller my shirt my fly right off. And no one needs to see that....

Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Never happens - Point the air wings down at a steep angle and tuck your shirt in.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagpanzer
Haha - yeah, it's been warm around here too. Though I swear if my head were a little smaller my shirt my fly right off. And no one needs to see that....
Yeah, I got ya on that. I don't want to cause a wreck too!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't experienced shirt lift at all. I typically ride in jeans and either a t-shirt or a "quick-dry" shirt left untucked. Of course, I have plenty of gut to keep it down though.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Jagpanzer
Advanced

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Never happens - Point the air wings down at a steep angle and tuck your shirt in.
Fair enough - I'll try and mess with the wings again. Good point - wasn't thinking but I know my shirt wasn't tucked in the times I had the problem. Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 AM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The fork mounted wind deflectors solved that problem for me. They also dramatically reduced beard lift.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:58 AM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagpanzer
Traded in my '02 RKC last week for a '14 FLHTK. Man is she a sweet ride. Everything regarding airflow/windshield/etc. is stock.

My problem is that at speeds greater than 40 or 50 my T-shirt will start billowing out and filling with air. I feel like the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man. If I wear a jacket or my leather vest I have no issues as they keep everything in place. I'm having a hard time figuring out if the air is from an updraft or coming in through my short sleeves.

Anyone else experience this? I've tried messing with the adjustable wings which does direct more air right at me but doesn't fix the shirt problem. I was curious if the fangs would help that at all.

I guess I should try wearing a long sleeve shirt to pinpoint the location of the air as I'd sure love to fix/figure out this problem.

Thanks everyone - I enjoy reading this forum and have learned quite a bit.
Seriously ??? Now I have heard it all. Complaining about your shirt filling with air while you're on a motorcycle ........... Wow !

Fix the "problem", sure don't ride a motorcycle...

Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 PM
WaucondaRider
Tourer

I have noticed the same thing this weekend for the first time. It started after I opened up the fairing mounted wings to get more air flow to compensate for the heat.

Quick Reply: Updraft/billowing shirt problem