Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

going flat (not black)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:11 PM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default going flat (not black)

i googled all i could, and i searched on here, maybe not thoroughly but hopefully i could get some quick insights.

i plan on painting my ride coyote tan, like an MRAP. any of my brothers from motor-t on here id like to match the scheme. reading in to much ive been told to primer and wet sand of course, then ive heard that you use surfacer, then primer if you want that "pop" to the color. now, MRAP coyote tan dosent "pop". its got that undertone, that "i dont wanna be here" shade to it. on the same token, i dont want to do a crappy paint job. so im not sure what is the best way to ensure that its not gonna look homemade but not look "im ready for stugis".

"but it is homemade, you're doing it" true, but i have a paintbooth with a dustcollector/ fan, professional sugar blaster, and vacuum powered paint guns. also got that TCP "kustom" desert storm tan and hot rod flat black kits along with an over all hardener - been told i should, or dont have to use that, no idea. and two cans one says medium urethane reducer *70deg mid temp* and fast urethane reducer *60deg cool temp*. im guessing the hardener is to make it cure faster, and i should use the mid temp medium reducer since this will be indoors and the temp is kept around about there at all times.

all the flat painting ive looked up is always for black. but im not trying to imitate SOA and looking for a specific look to my flat tan. any and all help is appreciated. thank you.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:03 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

hot rod flatz makes some very easy to work with and shoot paints exp if you are not very exp with painting, however people think flat is easier to shoot when it is not, you have to get it right out of the gun you can not fix issues with your cut and buff stage as you do not have one... we powder tins all the time and use custom flat finishes

Old 12-18-2014, 01:15 PM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have vacuum guns, i have a buddy of mine getting me a gravity fed so ill see what works best from there.

all i have to go on now is primer, wet sand, paintx2, flat coat, done. i youtubbed for hours last night...every-single-person had a different way "that was better". its paint, flat paint, one color, **** me.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:33 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

hplv gun is what you will need to lay quality paint even that el cheepo harbor freight gun works great,just watch your needle size as some flat paints need to let more paint though this will be on the paint spec sheet

Old 12-22-2014, 12:49 PM
PlaneDrvr99
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a 09 street glide with a red denim paint job from Harley this past year. I liked it so much, I decided to paint my 01 Fatboy the same. I have never shot paint before in my life, but I gave it a shot.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer

Originally Posted by PlaneDrvr99
I saw a 09 street glide with a red denim paint job from Harley this past year. I liked it so much, I decided to paint my 01 Fatboy the same. I have never shot paint before in my life, but I gave it a shot.

After you flat cleared the paint did you cut/buff or wetsand? I'm wanting to do one of mine in flat white and trying to gather up some info.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 PM
PlaneDrvr99
Novice

After the flat clear you don't touch it. I was told that on these flat or denim paints that if you wet sand, cut, buff, or wax it will turn them into gloss. If you notice in the first pic I laid the base coat down and its a gloss. It wasnt till after I laid the clear on that you get the Denim or flat look.

You pretty much have to get it right the first time. With these flats, you can go back and fix errors without sanding all the way down and starting completely over.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:10 PM
bharleyj109
Advanced

Originally Posted by PlaneDrvr99

Wow nice job for never spraying before! Laid out very nice, and the black exhaust really sets it off!

Old 01-07-2015, 10:28 PM
PlaneDrvr99
Novice

THANKS !

I was always told that when it comes to painting, its all about the prep. Well, I took my time to make sure everything was prepped properly. My local paint and body supply store, whom mixed the paint, really went above and beyond in going over with me the process not only as a whole but for the product I bought. A big shout out to those guys ! Other than that I just took my time with everything. Patience really is the key. DO NOT GET IN A RUSH !

I really like the Vance & Hines exhaust. Probably going to black out the headlight nacelle and the uppers of the forks. I'm having BR Customs build me some apes and new risers now.