Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Bon3Sh4nks
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Confusion

06 HD XL1200C

So my clutch has thrown me for a loop.

3 weeks ago, on my way home from work, in 5th gear, doing about 60-65, very slight uphill grade, i went WOT (wide open throttle) to get around another vehicle and noticed my engine noise was not matching my acceleration, felt like my clutch was slipping then re catching upon deceleration.

Next day, i change my trans/primary oil -- (and i have to admit, the fluid had 10k mi of usage, and during those 10k miles i was a bad Harley owner and didnt readjust my clutch cable, or my clutch pack center screw.) -- and adjust to specs, then make a 3 or 4 mile ride around the neighborhood before i decide to jump on it and see if the slip is still there, and of course it was.

2 weeks have passed since these few events, and during these weeks i have not been doing any fast acceleration or hard riding as i wanted to prolong what little life i think i have left in my clutch pack. Which brings me to this morning. i found myself in a jam on the way to work (idiot on her cell phone nearly hits me) so i gunned it (WOT) to get around, and felt NO SLIP.

The absence of the slip caught me way off guard so i decided to accelerate as fast as i could at the next light up to about 75 mph, progressing through the gears aggressively, again NO SLIP.

to sum it up, Had a slip under WOT, changed fluid and readjusted tensions, slip still exists. ride carefully for 2 weeks, slip disappears.

Any ideas as to what could be going on?

Old 06-10-2011, 06:44 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

One idea.
Youre counting days until it blows and leaves you stranded. The ol ladys sporty started slipping. I was able to adjust the clutch to get her home. Worked fine for about a month. During that time I picked up a Barnett Extra Plate and had it sitting on the shelf waiting for the time to come. On the way home after a short ride, she got to ride mine, and I pushed hers 2 miles home.

Moral of the story: put a clutch in it before you end up pushing it home. It aint that hard. Takes about 20 minutes, start to finish. More if youve never done one before.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Bon3Sh4nks
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive only access to the internet at work, forgive the length between posts.

To Update: My spring plate grenaded. and the pieces of the spring plate got stuck between the outter edges of the clutch rings and scored the hell out of my clutch basket. So kk6pg, you were right.
I bought a screamin eagle clutch kit, with no spring plate yay!!!

Its in the shop awaiting the new hub from HD extended to arrive. Until then, Bus stops and crosswalks for yours truely.