Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Upper motor mount on 1982 FXR....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:21 PM
Luv my shovel
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Upper motor mount on 1982 FXR....

I'm helping a friend get his bike running. It"s a 1982 FXR . It has a rubber mounted shovelhead that he totally rebuilt before he parked it 10 years ago. 300 miles on.20 over rebuild. They powder coated the jugs and lower end. Put lots of money in it. I replaced fuel lines, flushed tank with kerosene. went threw S&S super E shorty and changed motor oil. Pulled plugs and put a couple ounces of kerosene in it and let it sit over night before I rolled it over so as not to damage rings. Well I noticed the upper engine mount bracket on the frame was broken, snapped in half. This bike has rubber mounts up front and this upper mount had an adjustable rod with heim joints on each end. I stripped tank off and put a plate across my weld thinking that would be a better fix than the tac- weld that was on there. It fired right up but was dumping fuel out the float bowl over flow fitting. I re-checked carb and float was set right. I found the fuel cap was plugged solid. Built so much pressure that steady flow of fuel came out of overflow while it was running. Switched cap and ran great for 2 days then it busted the upper mount again! How can you run rubber lower mount and adjustable upper mount. That motor bounces around like crazy on the rubber mounts? Anyone ever run into this?
I am going to fab. another bracket out of 1/4 in angle I guess...
I had to shorten the adjustable rod when I repaired it the first time because the bolts that drop threw the heim joints were 1/2 in. wider than the holes in the bracket that they drop into. I don"t know how they got them in before.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated .
It's a rubber mounted shovel with an EVO. 5 speed transmission without a kicker, electric start only.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,246 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv my shovel
How can you run rubber lower mount and adjustable upper mount.
I had to shorten the adjustable rod when I repaired it the first time because the bolts that drop threw the heim joints were 1/2 in. wider than the holes in the bracket that they drop into. I don"t know how they got them in before.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:26 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

While I ain't about to watch nearly 5 Minutes of Video on the Damn Puter, I'll just say that the top engine Stay should Not have any pressure on it.
The lower mount at the front of that setup is Suspect...I would have it replaced long ago.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:38 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You said it has a heim joint in the top mount and rubber isolator in the front... there HAS to be a heim joint in the front too and both joints have to be set so that the drvetrain is straight in the frame

Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

And as Recepres said, the front rubber mount could go bad too alowing a lot of movement. I had one go bad, but no broken brackets at all though

Old 04-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Luv my shovel
Novice

Sorry, the front lower rubber mount also has the "adjustable stabilizer bar " with the heim joints on each end. I have never seen a set up like this so I knew I"d get some ideas from you guys. Racepres is right, the front mount has got to be a suspect.
I'm goin to grab some popcorn and watch that video that Tom84FXST sent the link to. It is 39 minutes long but it will probably explain the whole deal.
Thanks Tom,,,,

Old 04-13-2015, 03:41 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

My guess is that it concerns alignment...Can be found in the service manual as well...
Let us know if the 40min.'s is worth it OK?

Old 04-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Luv my shovel
Novice

Tom84FXST is the man! There is so much more to the engine and tranny being aligned with the rear swing arm because motor and tranny hang from the 3 points and the weight of them sit on 2 rubber mounts.
Things like the rear wheel being centered in the swing arm, and the condition of rear swing arm bushings are critical. Upper adjustment under the tank adjusts the vertical setting of the rear tire. With frame hanging and it being level across the frame rails under the seat you adjust rear tire so it"s 90 degrees vertical, straight up and down.
This one is so far off, ( far off being like 1/4 in.) that when I set bike down side load on that mount was crazy.
Nothing like my 79 FXEF solid mount set up. We all know bolt down motor at rear mount, check under front mounts with feeler guage and shim if nec. then tighten front down and just tighten upper mount under tank . " Simple is good" If you have warn swing arm bushings you see them when greasing swing arm.
Anyway, thank you guys for all your help. Old school rules,

The Kiss method, Keep It Simple Stupid,,,
_ _ _ _