Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 piston rear caliper from Performance Machine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 PM
W.Glide
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 4 piston rear caliper from Performance Machine.

Anyone here running a rear Performance Machine 4 piston caliper? I'm looking for something that will help pedal effort on the rear of my Wide Glide. While I can get it to lock up, I dam near have to stand on the pedal, and i'm looking for something to reduce the effort. The front works great, but the rear is crappy. Lets here what you have to say.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

That's a expensive place to start. Is the brake system stock? Start with better pads and a braided brake line to make the pedal feel better.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:00 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

I have the exact same situation! Even after several emails, PM never has offered any advice as to how to fix the problem.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

You need to ensure you have the correct ratio between MC and caliper piston. http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,514 Likes on 2,134 Posts

I would be looking at the fronts long before bothering with the rear. As we all know 70%+ of your braking is done by the fronts. Adding brake power to the rear in my opinion opens the door to more lockups. Unless you have abs, which I do, but still wouldn't bother.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 PM
W.Glide
Tourer

Ok, let me be perfectly clear. The FRONT brakes are GREAT with NO PROBLEM what so ever. The rear brakes suck *****! The pedal is firm and feels great, it just doesn't stop worth a crap, and the only way you will get it to lock is if you stand on the pedal! Pedal is stiff and feels great, it just doesn't stop worth a ****. 800 miles on this bike since I rode it off the dealers lot brand new and it's been this way the entire time. With that said one of the guys I work with rode his '07 Dyna today and I was talking to him about it. He said his was at the other end of the spectrum, and he could lock his up very easily. I then looked at his rear caliper and it was a factory 4 piston instead of the 2 piston like my '16 has. I should note mine has factory ABS. I also talked to Rick at Performance Machine this afternoon and he told me that Harley in the last few years was bad about putting a master cyl. on with a bigger bore than what was needed so it would kill the "touchiness" of the rear brakes. Being a mechanic for 40 years I don't think a brake pad upgrade along with braided lines would get me close to where I want to be on this or i'd order them in a second.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by W.Glide
Ok, let me be perfectly clear. The FRONT brakes are GREAT with NO PROBLEM what so ever. The rear brakes suck *****! The pedal is firm and feels great, it just doesn't stop worth a crap, and the only way you will get it to lock is if you stand on the pedal! Pedal is stiff and feels great, it just doesn't stop worth a ****. 800 miles on this bike since I rode it off the dealers lot brand new and it's been this way the entire time. With that said one of the guys I work with rode his '07 Dyna today and I was talking to him about it. He said his was at the other end of the spectrum, and he could lock his up very easily. I then looked at his rear caliper and it was a factory 4 piston instead of the 2 piston like my '16 has. I should note mine has factory ABS. I also talked to Rick at Performance Machine this afternoon and he told me that Harley in the last few years was bad about putting a master cyl. on with a bigger bore than what was needed so it would kill the "touchiness" of the rear brakes. Being a mechanic for 40 years I don't think a brake pad upgrade along with braided lines would get me close to where I want to be on this or i'd order them in a second.
Good pads can't hurt, might help a LOT, and cost a small fraction of a PM caliper. What's the down side?

As far as seeking technical advice, I'd call Wilwood, Brembo, Tokiko, etc. before I would PM. PM makes pretty parts, for sure, but their business isn't actually performance brakes. I'd bet Hward Messner at Motorcycle Metal knows a thing or two about stopping a Harley, too.

Last edited by cggorman; 03-21-2017 at 08:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cggorman:
relykz (03-24-2017), TwiZted Biker (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 12:17 PM
W.Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by cggorman
Good pads can't hurt, might help a LOT, and cost a small fraction of a PM caliper. What's the down side?

As far as seeking technical advice, I'd call Wilwood, Brembo, Tokiko, etc. before I would PM. PM makes pretty parts, for sure, but their business isn't actually performance brakes. I'd bet Hward Messner at Motorcycle Metal knows a thing or two about stopping a Harley, too.

Well Chris I went ahead and ordered a set of the best Lyndall pads and will give them a shot. Worst case is i'm out $70 on pads, but if they perform like there website says they will it should get my rear brakes a lot closer to where I want them.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:26 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I'm an EBC guy, but Lyndall is good too. Friction material choice can vary based on your preference. Many high performance pad materials can have a lower initial bite but come on strong as the rotors and pads heat up. Many street materials are the opposite. They have very high initial bite and fall on their face when hot. And, of course, you can find compounds in between. I like the feel of a more performance oriented compound, but we're all different.

Remember to bed in the pads per the mfg. recommendation before making a determination on how you like them or trusting them in critical use.

Like you said, worst case you're out $70. It can take several different tries before you find your perfect compound.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:38 PM
W.Glide
Tourer

They are supposed to be here Monday, so as soon as I get a chance to see how they do between the monsoon rains we are now getting, i'll post how they do.

Quick Reply: 4 piston rear caliper from Performance Machine.