Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noisy engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
beauty
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy engine

I have a 07 Fatboy that have a lot of engine noise. Sounds like value train noise. The dealer said it would go away after the 1000 mile service. After the service I still have the noise. Dealer now said it's normal for the new 96 inch motor to make that noise. My friend has a 2000 Roadking that is very quite. Anyone else having this problem? I think for 19 thousand dollars the engineshould sound quite as a mouse.

[/align]

Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Waltman
Tourer
Default RE: noisy engine

I also have an 07 FB and the engine "noise" you are refferring tobecame more evident when Iinstalled a wind shield, it's quite annoying since the sound bounces off the shield back into the rider. Iwear ear plugs now.

On the other hand, I have around8 K miles in the odo, and the bike rides strong with no problems and get around 40 mpg.

I wouldn't worry about it, just ride.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you are probably hearing is the automatic chain tensioner...left side??

Old 07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
str8pipe
Advanced

it will be fine, its a harley there not going to be quiet.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:16 AM
zoomie67
Tourer

I have an 01 Fatboy that made alot of valvetrain noise. It always annoyed me but all the mechanics said it was normal. I rode several others, some were quieter some were louder. It's just luck of the draw I guess. Alot of the noises disappeared when I went to the big bore kit.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Strgzr
Tourer

I think they are louder in hotter temps.... My 06 does this. I even feel a little washing machine vibration & sound at like 35 mph. Wondered if it is the counter balancer.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Milwaukee Steal
Intermediate

Well, here is my take on the situation.......I have an 05 Heritage that is stock from the factory in most respects except for a lot of add on chrome. Same exhaust, etc. Anyway from the get go my engine has sounded like a lawn mower. Just my take on the sound. If Harley ever makes a lawn mower, you will know what it will sound like. Anyway, I have ridden an 04 Road King that was absolutely quiet as a mouse (again, stock exhaust, etc.). All you hear from his bike is from the exhaust pipe. Mine is right up front with the engine. Anyway, the way it was explained to me is my bike is internally balanced whereas his (the roadking) is rubber mounted. Mine is mounted solidly to the frame where his is rubber mounted. Beginning to get the picture?? Mine more or less uses the whole bike like a megaphone or a speaker, so to speak. They both have the same engine, it is just that mine "vibrates" thru the whole frame. Anyway, about 28,000 miles it began sounding louder.......obnoxiously louder. I knew there was something not quite right. Ended up being the balancer bearings deep in the engine were bad and had to be replaced. Now it sounds like it did when it was first new. Like a lawn mower engine. One like Harley would make. It's not bad, it's just different. They are what they are because of how they're made. If you can wrap your hands around that concept, you should be alright with the sound. Hope this helps. Milwaukee Steal............on a side note, what does the term "stealer" really mean that a lot of people are using in this forum?? Is that a term for a dealer?? Mine is definitely different than that........

Old 07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

ORIGINAL: Milwaukee Steal

Well, here is my take on the situation.......I have an 05 Heritage that is stock from the factory in most respects except for a lot of add on chrome. Same exhaust, etc. Anyway from the get go my engine has sounded like a lawn mower. Just my take on the sound. If Harley ever makes a lawn mower, you will know what it will sound like. Anyway, I have ridden an 04 Road King that was absolutely quiet as a mouse (again, stock exhaust, etc.). All you hear from his bike is from the exhaust pipe. Mine is right up front with the engine. Anyway, the way it was explained to me is my bike is internally balanced whereas his (the roadking) is rubber mounted. Mine is mounted solidly to the frame where his is rubber mounted. Beginning to get the picture?? Mine more or less uses the whole bike like a megaphone or a speaker, so to speak. They both have the same engine, it is just that mine "vibrates" thru the whole frame. Anyway, about 28,000 miles it began sounding louder.......obnoxiously louder. I knew there was something not quite right. Ended up being the balancer bearings deep in the engine were bad and had to be replaced. Now it sounds like it did when it was first new. Like a lawn mower engine. One like Harley would make. It's not bad, it's just different. They are what they are because of how they're made. If you can wrap your hands around that concept, you should be alright with the sound. Hope this helps. Milwaukee Steal............on a side note, what does the term "stealer" really mean that a lot of people are using in this forum?? Is that a term for a dealer?? Mine is definitely different than that........
I can tell you that my '07 touring is a lot noisier than my '05 Fatboy was (even with the shield installed).

Old 07-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Milwaukee Steal
Intermediate

Remember this, no matter how loud the bike sounds..........when was the last time you heard anybody say, "Wow! Is that a Honda????" think about that, now........