Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front turn signal relocation

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
dg7080
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front turn signal relocation

I've got the relocation kit from HD. According to the instructions, the fuel tank has to be removed in order to relocate the turn signal wiring. 07 FXSTC...

Looking at my service manual, removing the fuel tank is not a big deal, but a hassle, having to drain the tank, remove the console, etc..

Anyone done this without removing their tank, know any short cuts?

Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 AM
southpaw
Road Warrior
Default RE: Front turn signal relocation

My cousin took his off the cheap way, he relocated the signals but cut the turn signal wires to the length he needed to avoid removing the tank. Honestly I wouldn't do that, but he said why not, he is permanently leaving it there, so who will know other then us 2. (well, everyone who reads this now to)

Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Cutting, resoldering, and shrink tubing the lines is about the easiest way to do it. But if your not very good at it taking the tank off is probably better. I just went to the garage to take a pic and look mine over. The connector is under there far enough that it would be difficult if not impossible to get at it without at least lifting the tank a couple of inches.
Anyway here's a pic of the connector so you can try to see about getting at it by lifting the tank. The latch is on the outside so maybe if you used a really long nosed set of pliers or hemostats the lifted tank might get you enough room. There is also a rubber covering over it that protects all the wires from any tank vibrations. So your going to have to get behind it also.

Its the connector with the blue, purple and black wires.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:07 PM
dg7080
Cruiser

Thanks for the info and also the pics there citoriplus.

I though about doing the quick and easy wire cut thing already, but after looking at the pic, I might go ahead and losen up the tank and see if I can lift it up enough to get the wired unclipped cleanly to reroute. I got a feeling it wont lift up enough for that, but worth a shot.

If not, I might just whack em..

Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Its not very clear in the pic, but my signals are relocated, so if you look at the top wire bundle (3 wires) coming out of the connector. Follow it out and around a little you can see how much extra wire you wind up with after moving the signals.
I'm in the process of doing a bunch of winter mods and cutting and shortening those wires is on the list.
Fogot to add that before I cut them, I planto pull the signal itself apart to see if I can shorten them at that end easier than cutting the wires andsplicing them together again. If I can do it that way it will be abetter way to go.
Wanna wait a few days till I try it and let you know or are you in a hurry? If you are, you try it and let me know. It might save one of some extra work anyway.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
dg7080
Cruiser

If time permits, I'm going to do it this weekend, probably Sunday. I'll see if I can take the signals apart rather than cutting first, not a bad idea. I'll let you know if I do get it done before you do, you do the same

thanks!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:51 PM
romigula
Advanced

You could save yourself the head ache and let your local dealer do it for ya. They did a really nice job with my bars and turn signal relocation. I would have done it my self, only I didn't want to spend 4 hours of routing wires through my 16's + the signals. The dealer does those types of mods all the time and can get the job done 10x's faster because of their experience. Don't get me wrong, I like to wrench at my bike too, but messing with all those wires is a biotch.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 PM
dg7080
Cruiser

All done, signals are now re-located where they should be in the first place if you ask me.

Citoriplus, I was able to get to the connector by removing the front and read tank bolts, then sliding the tank rearward about 1.5 inches. I could then get to that connector with a pair of needle nose and pop it right apart. Your picture helped a lot, soon as I spotted it, I knew it was the right one. I still ended up cutting, splicing/resoldering, and shrink tubing the lines anyway as there is way too much slack in them after you re-route them from their previous handle bar position.

And I hear you Romigula, but I like tinkering with my scooter and I've given my dealer enough of my $'s over the years and sure don't like paying em $75 per hour for something I can do myself and learn more about my bike in the process. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against my local HD shop and I like most of the folks that work there, but I aint going to pay em to move my turn signals long as I got a good warm shop, a service manual, and all the tools I need to do a job.