Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New air cleaner and exhaust mods, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Mobscene
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New air cleaner and exhaust mods, any tips?

So I've finally ordered my parts to upgrade my ride(07 Deuce). I've got a SE Heavy Breather, a PCIII, and I'm expecting my Rinehart Cross Backs any day now. I'm doing all the work myself, and although I'm good at figuring almost anything out, I'm no wrench! My question to all you pros out there is: are there any special tools I'll need to pick up for these installs(like a torque wrench I'm shopping for), and are there any tips you have for unseen problems or easier install? I've already searched for this stuff but I've only found very non-specific info. I would really appreciate any help you can throw my way!
Thanks all, ride safe!
-Mike

Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain
Default RE: New air cleaner and exhaust mods, any tips?

Get new exhaust port gaskets, don't re-use the old ones...a torque wrench is a great tool to have, when I comes to the pipe nuts tighten til snug and do them evenly, then after a 100 miles check them again and snug em up.....even if you got the PCIII pre-mapped save your bucks and have the bike put on a dyno for final tuning...

That's what I have to offer.....Next

Bone

Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Mobscene
Novice

Hey thanks for that, Vikingnomad, much appreciated! I do plan to dyno it, just hunting for a guy out here in Socal to do it...right. Anybody got a bead on a Cali Valley Dyno??

Old 05-15-2008, 06:05 AM
WaterHog
Road Captain

You'll also need snap-ring pilers to remove the exhaust flanges also get SE exhaust gaskets.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:36 AM
indigoblue2001
Advanced

Consider the purchase of a Thundermax, especially if you plan on doing additional engine/performance upgrades.

With a Thundermax, no Dyno time is required, the unit constantly regulates the mixture. Even regulates in high-elevations without a problem.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Mobscene
Novice

Thanks to all of you for your info, definitely putting it to use! Pipes are just hours from coming in, should make for a good weekend! Picking up the SE gaskets at lunch time...
Any more info and great tips, friends?
-Mike

Old 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Mobscene
Novice

Okay, so I'm all done with my installs, thanks for the tech help. Things went fairly smooth and took slightly longer than I thought it would, but it was fun as hell doing all the work myself! Made waiting to ride all that more special. The biggest problem I had though, was getting the Power Commander connectors to fit in the tiny space under the seat between the fuse box and the ECM. Jeez that sucked! There must be more room in the standard Softail space, cuz in the directions it looked just fine. Needless to say- it's done, and I finally got to take it for a spin.
Let me just say......DAMN! What an improvement! It sounds like a freight train comin' through! Beautiful deep rumbles, that potato sound at idle, and when you crack it, you know about it! Not to mention they look pretty sweet on the bike! I will post pics, soon as I clean her up!
If you can swing the Rinehart Crossbacks(they're kinda pricey), you will not be disappointed. Just the right Harley sound I was lookin' for. It's like owning a whole new scoot! Haven't been able to verify the performance gains yet, but it seems snappier on the throttle. I'll keep you posted, still gonna dyno it.

Now one question I have, if anyone can answer this, is:
I re-installed the O2 sensors on the pipes even though they are not connected, for "appearance sake" just in case the local police want to pull me over. Would they even pay attention to that? The O2 eliminators are attached to the bike as well so there's no real reason for them to be on the bike, other than to look EPA regulated. Now, will I get better performance using the O2 bung plugs supplied with the pipes? Or does it not matter as long as something is in the pipe holes?
Alright, thanks again in advance for your help, ride safe all..
-Mike

Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 PM
twiceretired
Tourer

One word of caution. Assuming that PC still uses the caps to plug off the O2 sensors, make sure you fasten those down securely. One of mine fell off, and PC won't sell you another one. You'd have to go to Radio Shack and buy a specific resistor and wire it in. Pain in the butt, so make sure they're on tight.
Frank

Old 05-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Mobscene
Novice

Hey thanks for that, Frank! I will go back and throw some electrical tape on just to be sure.