Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer / Crossbones Riser Question? HELP..

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:22 PM
White Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Springer / Crossbones Riser Question? HELP..

Hey guys. I've got a question for you boys. Not likely I'll get an answer, but what the heck..

I bought a set of handle bar risers from Choppers Inc. They are the standard 4" rise, which I assume comes on all springers other than the bones. The Bones is 3" rise. I DO NOT want to raise the bars another inch. I'd have to change out all the cables and the wiring.

I plan on having these risers machined down one inch. There is a step down looking at the bottom of the risers. It's about .75" in. I assume that's for the elastomers.

My question is, should that step down be the same as the 4" risers? I'd hate to have to take em off to check for sure. I'm hoping one of you know. I know the mounting hardware is probably different. Just a longer threaded shaft I assume..

Any info is appriciated.

Let's see how many people tell me to extend the lines.. lol...

WG

Old 09-30-2008, 04:49 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My springer classic risers were 3", I just had to replace them cause the indy stipped one out. I will measure it and post up.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
White Guy
Tourer

Originally Posted by jrspringer06
My springer classic risers were 3", I just had to replace them cause the indy stipped one out. I will measure it and post up.
You sir, are the bomb... Thanks..

WG

Old 09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer

from the bottom to the first step down is 5/8" using a tape. If your risers are like mine (im sure they are, irc the crossbones and springer classic share the same front end) they dont contact the triple tree, so i would think you have a little to play with.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:49 PM
SAS
Tourer

I really dont think you will have to run new cables if you go an inch higher. Sometimes you can go 2" before having to run new cables and lines. I would try them before you spen the money on something you really did not have to do. You could always just take off the current riser caps and place an 1" piece of wood or what ever and set the bars back down to see. I'm almost sure 1" wont hurt you.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:52 PM
fitn217
Intermediate

I agree with SAS...it's worth a shot. I would rough mount it all and see how it all fits. It's not too much xtra work to dissasemble and shave the risers if it doesn't work out. Plus you'll probly like being an inch higher. I've got 14" bars on new 3" risers with Ness top tree so I could mount Smarty Gimps....and love the riding position, puts a nice arch in my back and it never hurts. I've got a Le Pera bare bones seat on my 2005 Springer Classic...puts the grips between my chin and shoulder....& I'm 6'0.
BTW: the original risers that came on my springer were 3" to the bottom of the handlebar....I'm pretty sure they're the same riser as the ones on the Bones except they're chrome.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 AM
White Guy
Tourer

Originally Posted by SAS
I really dont think you will have to run new cables if you go an inch higher. Sometimes you can go 2" before having to run new cables and lines. I would try them before you spen the money on something you really did not have to do. You could always just take off the current riser caps and place an 1" piece of wood or what ever and set the bars back down to see. I'm almost sure 1" wont hurt you.
Oh there's no way. Not on mine at least. I hear what you're saying, but the throttle cable and brake lines are almost too tight as it is.. Plus, I really don't want to raise it up any more. The LaRosa saddle dropped me down quite a bit. Any higher, and it'll be too high for what I want.. I have 3 machine shops in my area, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.. Thanks,

WG

Old 10-01-2008, 01:57 AM
White Guy
Tourer

Originally Posted by jrspringer06
from the bottom to the first step down is 5/8" using a tape. If your risers are like mine (im sure they are, irc the crossbones and springer classic share the same front end) they dont contact the triple tree, so i would think you have a little to play with.
Thanks JR... The risers I bought from Choppers Inc. have less than .5" of a step for some reason... Looks like I"m just gonna have to take one of em off and measure.. I have a call in to Gooden Tight, so maybe they'll be able to tell me. Thanks for the help!

WG

Old 10-01-2008, 02:10 AM
walterwindbag
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crossbones risers

I seem to remember there is some kind of spring/contact thing in the risers for the earth return (from the manual), I guess you'll need to take that into account?

all the best

walt