Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch interlock switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
My buddy has an '07 UC, it will only start in neutral. Mine is '06, will start in any gear. So I'm guessing he has this switch and it doesn't function properly. Previous owner added heated grips. Could he have damaged the switch?
I would say he has the switch and it's not working. My bike was performing similarly with a known broken switch that I broke while changing grips. You can look under the clutch lever flange where it covers the back of the switch housing and see the button on top of the switch, unless it's been broken off like mine. The button is surrounded by a rubber material to help seal the hole in the switch housing. I was also getting security system light constant on while running and error b1154 (clutch interlock shorted to ground). With the bike switched off, the security system light returned to normal periodic flash.

Again, there's a similar switch under the front brake lever as well for the brake light.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:29 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
cruise has to disengage moment clutch is pulled (pushed, if in a car/truck) otherwise motor runs away. with switch broken/ not working, what signals actuator to disengage holding throttle at whatever it was set at? nothing! most likely cruise would fail to hold due to open circuit read by control unit. so you would have a problem with the switch broken, an inop cruise control!
Yeah, good point. I'm not familiar with all of the interfaces involved with a bike cruise but assumed the clutch lever would be a candidate for sure; like a car. I was wondering whether it was a normally open or closed switch. I didn't check continuity it before I put my new one in.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well thanks mswing. Your original post didn't grow any legs, but this is useful information.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:24 PM
kerstingm
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mswing1234
Well, I finally got around to fixing this. Obviously this was not of huge interest since no one responded. I got the switch from the dealer (~$61.00 including tax). The only issues with not having the switch operational were not being able to start the bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled in and the annoyance of staring at the red security light (error) while riding. Anyway, the replacement was fairly easy. Move the clutch lever (this time) and open the switch housing. Cut out the old switch, install the new one, splice/solder the wires, heat shrink, and close up (carefully). Clear error b1154. Good to go.
Sounds like this was a fairly easy repair? The wife's Softail Custom has a bad switch, yes it is a PIA issue when it doesn't work.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:05 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kerstingm
Sounds like this was a fairly easy repair? The wife's Softail Custom has a bad switch, yes it is a PIA issue when it doesn't work.
Yes, the repair is easy if you have a little skill with a soldering iron, heat shrink the exposed wire, and be careful not to pinch any wires when you put the switch housing back together.