Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to aim my highbeam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to aim my highbeam?

Hello

on my 04 flstci i finally clicked the highbeam at night and realized it shoots off to the left, points to about 10 o'clock

I know on a car there is an aiming tool that you adjust screws to balance the alignment (on older cars at least). Do i need a similar tool for the bike? Or is there a simpler process?

Is it like a 10min job? If so i might just bring it to the dealer without an appt and beg them to do it real quick for a tip lol

Thanks

PS, as this is my first bike i have no choice but to ask this admittedly ridiculously dumb question ... "or are they supposed to aim that way?" LOL!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it only the highbeam that aims left? If they both aim left just physically turn the housing to straighten it. Assuming you have the stock headlight with the bulb that has low and high beam in one bulb?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
rsarno
Road Master

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
Is it only the highbeam that aims left? If they both aim left just physically turn the housing to straighten it. Assuming you have the stock headlight with the bulb that has low and high beam in one bulb?
I dont have bike with me so i cannot confirm, but i am assuming pretty surely that i do have stock headlight.

Yes it is only the highbeam

Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Here's a diagram on how to adjust headlight...should be same process for all m/c's. Yes, easy & less than 10-min job...

Attached Thumbnails How to aim my highbeam?-headlight-aiming.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure that the low beam is aimed straight? Do you have driving/passing lights that make it look like the low beam is aimed straight? Is the lamp in the housing correctly? If it were in there at 90 degrees then that might cause the low beam to be centered and the high beam to be off to the left. If all of this checks out you can try putting in a new bulb and see what happens.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I just grab my headlight and tug whichever direction I need it to go. No need for tools or anything.

Drew

Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

You only aim the low. The high goes on it's own. Will post detail if you need it later tonight when I look your bike up in my service manual. Just like ice shows, low beam and motorcycle square to line (should not be to left or right). My bike you move whole light. Some bikes have a screw in side of cover.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-29-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
rsarno
Road Master

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Here's a diagram on how to adjust headlight...should be same process for all m/c's. Yes, easy & less than 10-min job...
That doesnt show anything about what to do if the beam doesnt go where you need it.

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
Are you sure that the low beam is aimed straight? Do you have driving/passing lights that make it look like the low beam is aimed straight? Is the lamp in the housing correctly? If it were in there at 90 degrees then that might cause the low beam to be centered and the high beam to be off to the left. If all of this checks out you can try putting in a new bulb and see what happens.
No im not 100% positive. All i know is at night on a dark highway i clicked to highbeam and it was a straight beam toward the left ... as i said, pointing to 10 oclock

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I just grab my headlight and tug whichever direction I need it to go. No need for tools or anything.

Drew
hehe LOL

Originally Posted by grf000
You only aim the low. The high goes on it's own. Will post detail if you need it later tonight when I look your bike up in my service manual. Just like ice shows, low beam and motorcycle square to line (should not be to left or right). My bike you move whole light. Some bikes have a screw in side of cover.
It goes on its own you mean like the Lexus cars where it detects your steering? That cant be right lol

Old 06-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Your head light aims just like my Deuce. You move the whole head light. Loosen the bottom bolt and swivel it around on low beam to the patch (do it at night or in your garage) of light is centered. Tighten the bolt. Loosen the side bolt and swivel up or down so the patch is center to the level of the head light. I take a old pc of card board and mark it at the right height. Do it in my garage. Close enough. The patch I am referring to is at night on the card board on low you will see that the light is actually wider then tall and a patch of brighter in the center. That's what you center. My patch is a good 1 1/2 foot tall at 20' and I center it at the correct height for my bike's head light height I get off the bike. (not a book)

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-29-2011 at 11:24 PM.