Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Motor Advice For Upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
CaptJohnny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Motor Advice For Upgrading

So I ended up having my motor completely detonate on me last fall at 2400 miles. Sucked obviously but more importantly was although it happened while riding in a tight group at 85 with traffic on both sides, I was completely fine and never went down. The more people I show the photos to, the more people tell me I am damn lucky she didn't completely lock up on me. Definitely had an angel because 30 seconds before that happened my helmet strap came loose on me which would have really been an issue.

I pulled the clutch as soon as I felt the bang, shook the whole bike, smoke coming from the air cleaner and out from under the seat, I had the clutch pulled and fell back from the pack, coasting onto the shoulder.

Harley covered the motor no questions asked, crate motor, and it was replaced by my dealer without issue.

When I bought the bike new I had stage 1 done immediately and went for a Dyno at 500 miles. I also added the screaming eagle race tuner per suggestion of dealer, although I still have not a clue what it actually does.

So now I have 1500 miles on the new motor, I have Stage 1, VH True Duals, Air Cleaner, and Race Tuner... that is the extent of my performance upgrades...

I am going to do a 107" upgrade this coming winter, basically my question is what to do until then. I do notice a difference in this motor, I feel as if it doesn't pull quite as hard as the last one after the dyno.... maybe my imagination.

My main question is whether or not I need a fuel management system... the more I read the more confused I get as to what that actually is... does this 500 dollar screaming eagle tuner serve any purpose whatsoever?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Race Tuner is your fuel management system.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

I'm just different I guess, pull the engine drop it off local machine shop guru. Use to be dood down called Don Cruz that take a shovelhead and blow ya mind. Now days still folks just like him. Course ya spend tha $$$ at HD or not. Just my two cents.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Guy49
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact Scott at Hillside. There in Munnsville,NY. Best Motor guys around. They will steer you straight and do some great work.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

How about a little MORE info on what the Holly bat chit happen to the ORG rear jug....

I can't even imagine what the heck happened to do that to the piston.?????

Old 04-07-2012, 05:48 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

with no marks in the piston top from valves or detonation, it looks like excessive heat to me.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:19 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

WOW - that sucks!

I agree - give Scott a call at Hillside... you'll be very happy you did. They have a custom Wiseco piston for their 107" kit, and can do your build to your preferences from mild to wild. They did my top end work recently from afar, and I am extremely pleased with everything.

You need a tuning device once you go beyond basic 'stage 1' mods - SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) is the one that HD uses most, but someone familiar with tuning EFI can also use the software to modify their own settings. The tuning device (SERT, TTS, etc.) is an interface to allow advanced adjustments to your ECM for many of the settings - AFR (air-fuel ratio), timing, etc.

Best bet is to talk with your builder, have them assemble your engine to fit your needs, get the tuning device they are most comfortable with, and let them dyno tune your new build. Hillside can take care of that for you, and you will be most happy with the results.

Good luck!
Roger

Old 04-07-2012, 12:47 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Luck? That does not even begin to describe it! You had the good Lord himself riding with you that day! As for the best thing you can do with a new 107" build or any build?? Head work. I have said it before, say it again. Head work is by far the best mod anyone can do for thier bikes. Its also there and done for any future mods you do too. There is no way I would take a motor down and not do the head work while it was down.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

YEAH,, with the 107 U'll need the sert even more so than just the stg1 mods.

It tunes U motor in about any way one can be tuned in the right dyno tuner.. IMO I like it because its not piggy back and if U do all Ur mods at one and then tune it Ur good till U make more major mods..

Had mine for 5yrs and haven't touched it since the org tune.