Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Can/Bus System with Beach Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Elmwood Deluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Can/Bus System with Beach Bars

Ok,.. so i want to install burly beach bars 38.5's" but what do i need to know about the can/bus system before doing so, do i need to extend the wires? My plan is to install 1 1/2" risers with the bars. Give me your thoughts im new to this can/bus system

Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,647 Likes on 4,633 Posts

extending the wires doesn't change anything on the can system. Can (controller area network) uses two wires to send ditigal data to all modules, ( can high, and can low, mirrored signals) but only certain modules will actually be able to read that signal, such as you use turn signal, that signal goes to every control unit on the bike, but only tssm module will be able to "read" that signal, and turn on the signal light. don't know if your wires will need to be extended or not, but if so, I recommend to use solder and do a good job on the joint. too much resistance can hinder the signal over can, and cause issues. no extra precautions needed, just do a good job, the first time

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 01-03-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Elmwood Deluxe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
extending the wires doesn't change anything on the can system. Can (controller area network) uses two wires to send ditigal data to all modules, ( can high, and can low, mirrored signals) but only certain modules will actually be able to read that signal, such as you use turn signal, that signal goes to every control unit on the bike, but only tssm module will be able to "read" that signal, and turn on the signal light. don't know if your wires will need to be extended or not, but if so, I recommend to use solder and do a good job on the joint. too much resistance can hinder the signal over can, and cause issues. no extra precautions needed, just do a good job, the first time
Any opinion on the Namz extensions for the can system? i see they offer a plug and play, think that might be my best solution just wasnt sure which extension to order.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,647 Likes on 4,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Elmwood Deluxe
Any opinion on the Namz extensions for the can system? i see they offer a plug and play, think that might be my best solution just wasnt sure which extension to order.
Namz is some pretty high quality stuff. I like their stuff and I use it often. I would see if you need extensions first. as HD gives a pretty good length of wire for the switches, anyhow. when I do say like 10" monkey bars on the baggers, I don't even need any extra length. I haven't done any beach bars, so I would measure the wiring. Its nice if you don't have to use any extensions, just makes the job that much quicker

Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Elmwood Deluxe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Namz is some pretty high quality stuff. I like their stuff and I use it often. I would see if you need extensions first. as HD gives a pretty good length of wire for the switches, anyhow. when I do say like 10" monkey bars on the baggers, I don't even need any extra length. I haven't done any beach bars, so I would measure the wiring. Its nice if you don't have to use any extensions, just makes the job that much quicker
Thanks for the help, much appreciated