Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rider needs some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 AM
jay4340
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rider needs some advice

i just picked up an 03 sportster 883 and im not sure if its running properly. most of the time, it seems to run great, but it feels like at high speed, part throttle like it misses sometimes. ive heard that aftermarket pipes can cause a backfire at part throttle due to a lack of backpressure and a buildup of fuel in the cylinders, but it doesnt really feel like a backfire, nor does it sound like one. the guy i bought the bike from said he put aftermarket pipes on it, but couldnt remember what kind they were and i dont know. also, it smells like its running really rich at idle, though it idles great. i pulled the plugs and looked at them, they look like they have a fair amount of carbon build up on the insulator. would changing the plugs help or should i look into rejetting the carb. the last thing is there is alot of oil coming out of the carb. anyone have any ideas/advice? thanks in advance.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: new rider needs some advice

The oil thing is normal, all sportsters do it, just some more than others. There are several "fixes" for it. do a search. Yes, change the plugs and do not lug the motor, sportsters like the rpm's up more than the big twins do. Question; when you warm up the motor, do you use the choke ? If you do, stop it. Only use the choke to get it started, then use the star wheel under the right grip to hold the rpm's up with the choke off. Hold the rpm's about 1000 to 1200 rpm while she warms up. That will help with the keeping the plugs from getting fouled like you are describing.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
jay4340
1st Gear

i do use the choke to warm it up and will stop and see if that helps. so what about the miss/backfire i am experiencing? anyone have any ideas on that?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
PimptraGlide
Cruiser

If you are noticing any electrical problems too...like the spedometer needle jumping more than it should or the digital guages clicking on and off.....then check the battery cables to make sure they are making proper connection. sometimes if they wiggle around and don't make good connection, you'll get the back/misfire feeling/sound.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, check the battery cables, I'd also change the plug wires when I change the plugs. If the bike has been sitting any, it would be a good idea to change the oil and filter too, just for piece of mind.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 AM
jay4340
1st Gear

i changed the oil and filter when i first go the bike, to include the trans and primary. ill get on the plugs and wires now. thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zimbob
Question; when you warm up the motor, do you use the choke ? If you do, stop it.
I'm not sure I'dgive out this advice......The choke is there for a purpose.Yes, it's bad to leave it out tooooooo long, but there's nothing wrong with using it properly. Follow the warm up instruction in the manual & according to the weather/temperature, stay with the scoot while it's warming up & adjust the choke as needed while putting on your gear. Or you could adjust the tension on the choke so that it slides in on it's own as the engine warms up, but still keeping an eye onit. That's how I do it, and I've never fouled a plug....

As for the oil blowby,check the level as you may have it a little full.The level should only be about 1/3rd above the low mark. Clean or replace the filter.For the hesitation, it could be a number of things....Add some seafoam to your next tank full. You don't say how long the bike has been sitting, so the carb may be gummed up.....orthe jetting could be wrong because you say it idles great but you smell gas and thepartial throttle you're getting a miss. And yes, replace the plugs & wires, as well as checking all the electrical connections.

Just my $0.02 though....

Old 05-20-2008, 02:42 PM
CalleCula
Intermediate

You have got the 'sportster cough'. If your lucky, it can dissappear. Try to adjust the air mixture screw. It is located underneath the carburator. Be sure the exhaust system isn't hot, take a small screwdriver to adjust the air screw a quarter, any direction. Ride your scoot warm and see how it reacts. If it the same (or worse), adjust the screw back to the beginning position and then a quarter in theother direction. This helps most of the times.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 PM
jay4340
1st Gear

i just got the bike about 3 weeks ago and they guy i bought it from said it has been sitting at least all winter. ill give the seafoam a shot as well as adjusting the air mixture. i just picked up the plugs and wires and am going to put them in. ill let everyone know if any of this helps. and once again, thanks.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Boyd Miller
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the poping or backfireing is a lean problem. you need to turn the enrichment screw out.