Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trickle charger not charging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trickle charger not charging?

nothing wrong with the way the bike starts, but when i go outta town i put it on a trickle charger just cause i will not be riding it for awhile. the charger always says its charging and never says it is just monitoring (which is what it should do when the battery is fully charged).
really weird- anyone know why my trickle charger never says it has finished charging??

Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Aires59
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two possible reasons I can think of, one is that there could be a constant small current drain - do you have an alarm system? the other possibility is that the battery is not in really good condition - try measuring the battery voltage a couple of hours after riding the bike or having the charger connected, it should be 12.7-13.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
wanabe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Aires59
Two possible reasons I can think of, one is that there could be a constant small current drain - do you have an alarm system? the other possibility is that the battery is not in really good condition - try measuring the battery voltage a couple of hours after riding the bike or having the charger connected, it should be 12.7-13.
thx for the reply...
battery seems fine- it never has any issues starting right up.
the only thing i can think of as a drain, shouldnt be a drain- i have a gps mount with a wire, but its not plugged in. i know that when the gps is on the bike it gets constant current. but i assumed that if its not on the bike and so the wire isnt plugged in there should be no effect on the battery- right?

other than that i guess i need to have a voltage check done

so i guess the question is whether an open circuit will prevent the battery from charging...

Last edited by wanabe; 08-06-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

You also have a clock that is a constant drain. But that shouldn't be a problem.

You say it's a trickle charger, or is it a battery tender. Trickle chargers will constantly be putting a charge in, whereas a tender will fully charge and then monitor. What brand is it?

My battery tender will show red while it is charging and then go green when it's monitoring. When it has to trickle it will be a flashing green.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
You also have a clock that is a constant drain. But that shouldn't be a problem.

You say it's a trickle charger, or is it a battery tender. Trickle chargers will constantly be putting a charge in, whereas a tender will fully charge and then monitor. What brand is it?

My battery tender will show red while it is charging and then go green when it's monitoring. When it has to trickle it will be a flashing green.
you are right its a tender (Deltran i think)... prob same one you use. and its always showing red on my bike (the charger seems fine cause it will flash green on the wifes bike)

Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wanabe
you are right its a tender (Deltran i think)... prob same one you use. and its always showing red on my bike (the charger seems fine cause it will flash green on the wifes bike)
Check to see if the connections are tight. I know that if I leave mine plugged into the wall when I unplug it from the bike, it will show a red light. If it's working on your wife's bike, then it just may be a simple matter of your pigtail not making a good connection. And yep, mine's a Deltran Tender Jr.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:43 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

It could even be a bad pigtail.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

good thought... will check the pigtail connections.
thx!

Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

checked everything and all was good...

then the brilliant idea to hook up the wifes charger to my bike just to see what happens- and hers was fine (charged my bike up in just a few min)!!
meaning, of course, it is my charger that is bad!!
a new charger- never thought to check that as a possiblity.

case solved and closed-
lesson= check everything, including tools and equipment!!