Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Questions and Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:56 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch Questions and Help

I noticed today when I went to move bike around the garage, that when I pull my cluth lever in, the bike still won't roll, as if it is in gear. If I put into to neutral it will move fine.

Next, I started the bike, pulled in the clutch lever, and now it rolls freely. But once I turn off the bike and disengage the clutch by pulling the lever, it still won't roll.

I performed the clutch adjustment procedure several times and I still have the same issue. I took the bike for a test ride and I don't feel anything wrong. It just doesn't want to move when off and the clutch lever pulled in.

2013 Iron with 1700 miles.

Thanks for any help and advise.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:13 PM
DamanC7
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having this exact same problem and I took it in yesterday. It is the spring clutch plate going. Apparently it will keep getting worse. Harley makes them with a shitty part and the give out and it's common. The shop I went to says they replace one at least once a week.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh wow, that would really suck to have to bring it in. I will try calling them tomorrow. Bike is warrantied so hopefully it doesn't cost me anything.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

The condition you describe doesn't sound unusual to me! Pushing the bike around in gear, with the clutch pulled in, is not going to be easy. If you can engage neutral easily while the engine is running, that seems fine. Leave your bike in neutral when parked, then you won't have to worry!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Bike will still have dome tranny "drag" if/when in gear and clutch engaged. You're fine, just park in garage in N and it's OK. Only park bike in gear when needed (i.e. on hill or uneven ground). This way you don't look like an idiot when trying to start bike in gear...

Old 11-04-2013, 07:24 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The condition you describe doesn't sound unusual to me! Pushing the bike around in gear, with the clutch pulled in, is not going to be easy. If you can engage neutral easily while the engine is running, that seems fine. Leave your bike in neutral when parked, then you won't have to worry!
+1 - Unlike cages, most motorcycles today have "wet" clutches. The clutch typically doesn't completely disengage unless the motor is running.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds normal, but like Daman said, the spring plate is an issue for Sportsters. The brass rivets on it tend to last around 25,000 miles, give or take depending on your luck/riding style. The good news is, it's covered by the warranty. You'll be fine for a while with your stock clutch unless anything goes horribly wrong, so I'd wait until at least after the break in is complete before making any changes to it. If you do end up replacing your clutch at some point, look into something that eliminates the spring plate.

But yeah, for now, you're fine.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Assuming the clutch is adjusted properly and it is not trying to move forward when the engine is on, it is in gear and the clutch lever is pulled in...

The reason why there is drag when in gear and not running, is that the oil is cold and thick in the primary/tranny. This oil is "sticky" between the clutch plates, so even though the clutch lever is pulled in, and the clutch is mechanically disengaged. that oil is sitting between the plates making it hard to move.

This issue can be made worse by having too much oil in the primary, which is a common occurrence.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_ech110
I noticed today when I went to move bike around the garage, that when I pull my cluth lever in, the bike still won't roll, as if it is in gear...
WHY are you trying to push your bike around while it is in gear?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:20 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Assuming the clutch is adjusted properly and it is not trying to move forward when the engine is on, it is in gear and the clutch lever is pulled in...

The reason why there is drag when in gear and not running, is that the oil is cold and thick in the primary/tranny. This oil is "sticky" between the clutch plates, so even though the clutch lever is pulled in, and the clutch is mechanically disengaged. that oil is sitting between the plates making it hard to move.

This issue can be made worse by having too much oil in the primary, which is a common occurrence.
+1 It's pretty common for the plates to not completely disengage, especially if it's overfilled or cold, or if the oil is too heavy.

Make sure you do the clutch adjustment procedure with the engine cold to minimize this type of issue.

Quick Reply: Clutch Questions and Help