Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMR Compensaver

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 AM
brian97
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMR Compensaver

Has anybody installed the new GMR Compensaver? If so, any comments?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by brian97
Has anybody installed the new GMR Compensaver? If so, any comments?
As far as I know, its been delayed. They aren't selling it yet.

Last edited by Rickr01; 10-30-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Sorry, Cant read I guess! Your talking about the Compensaver not the proposed GMR redesigned Compensator... Sorry bout that!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:39 AM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am on the fence about the compensaver, a lot of information/threads stop in July 2014. I want an update long term wise but no one has any. I tried calling GMR about 6 times and left messages but no one answers the phone. You used to order through them via phone but they finally got their website up. If the compensaver was the end fix then they wouldn't be reinventing the wheel and engineering a compensator. Fwiw

Old 10-31-2014, 07:32 AM
brian97
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replies. I installed the 2014 compensator and it seems much noisier than the previous SE compensator. GMR claims the fiber washer they are supplying with the kit really quiets it down. Was just looking for some input.
Thanks

Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by stic2it
I am on the fence about the compensaver, a lot of information/threads stop in July 2014. I want an update long term wise but no one has any. I tried calling GMR about 6 times and left messages but no one answers the phone. You used to order through them via phone but they finally got their website up. If the compensaver was the end fix then they wouldn't be reinventing the wheel and engineering a compensator. Fwiw
Hate to hear about the no call backs, was wanting to schedule a dyno tune soon.

Have not heard about GMR coming up with a whole new compensator, just knew that the CompenSaver and that washer was getting great reviews when used with the new 2014 SE compensater.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I just installed the new Thrust Washer to go with the Compensaver drip tray I've had in for almost 1500 miles on the newest '14A model HD compensator. The Compensaver does a very good job of lubricating "ALL" the moving parts. I put in the Thrust Washer because I was not very confident in the Needle Bearing Washer that HD uses in the new comps. So far there has not been a wave of failures with needles flying all over place, Stator,Clutch,Sprockets,Chain etc... would be torn up maybe even the shaft,
But I'd rather it not be me.
HOWEVER as well lubricated as everything was when I pulled the bolt and the part that slides onto the splined shaft(can't think of what it's called) I saw there was the dreaded rusty/red fretting (posted a photo in another thread,will include a link later)
Now I'm no engineer but something just ain't right. Wether HD designed it this way or their supplier(China-Korea-who knows) is Shafting (pun intended) them/us by using
inferior grade alloys. I mean there should be no rust when a part is bathed in oil/fluid
GMR recommended using Lucas Primary fluid for HD's but HD's own Syn-3 should work fine as well as any other synthetic that meets/exceeds mfgr specs. Right?

Here's the post from the other thread, I just copy/pasted the post with photo instead of linking the whole thread.

Reviving this thread for an update. I recently had my primary open again to install the new Thrust Washer from GMR Performance.(That is now included with the Compensaver as a kit) Everything looked good,Plenty of lubrication from the Compensaver,Until I pulled the bolt out and looked inside the part that slides onto the splines on the shaft. I had began to wipe it with a rag,vry well lubed,But then I saw the rag had red rust colored stains on it, Looked inside and this is what I saw.The dreaded red fretting! This is only 1500 miles on it and I had wiped it first. So I want to know WTF is HD making these things with? Can't they use an alloy that will not rust when coated with oil/lube???
Going to switch to Redline primary fluid and check again in a few months.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 10-31-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Any update on this? Getting ready to do a compensaver too. Just waiting on it to arrive.