Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 590LM install

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:17 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Zumo 590LM install

I have looked all over the forums and on YourTube with no luck so sorry if this is already hiding somewhere.

I just got a new Garmin590LM and I must say the documentation that came with it sucks. I want to mount this on an 02 Ultra Classic. there is no documentation on the multi conductor cable, and the link on the Garmin site is a dead end.

I think I really only need power, not the other connections as everything will be Bluetooth. The big question for you guys that have one is how do you route this big cable bundle on the bike? there does not appear to be any opening on the faring that is large enough to allow the connector to go through it so I can get to a power source.

Help appreciated and pics are a huge plus.

Rich

Old 12-20-2014, 01:49 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 498 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoBlue02
I have looked all over the forums and on YourTube with no luck so sorry if this is already hiding somewhere.

I just got a new Garmin590LM and I must say the documentation that came with it sucks. I want to mount this on an 02 Ultra Classic. there is no documentation on the multi conductor cable, and the link on the Garmin site is a dead end.

I think I really only need power, not the other connections as everything will be Bluetooth. The big question for you guys that have one is how do you route this big cable bundle on the bike? there does not appear to be any opening on the faring that is large enough to allow the connector to go through it so I can get to a power source.

Help appreciated and pics are a huge plus.

Rich
I looked at the 590LM and the mount looks the same as the one for my ZUMO. To mount the Zumo I used http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ring-mount-kit. You have to drill a big hole in the fairing but it is covered (and waterproof) by the mount. On my bike, the power wire from the mount plugs in to an extra wire in the headlight harness.

Attached Thumbnails Zumo 590LM install-20141220_114259-large-.jpg   Zumo 590LM install-20141220_114425-large-.jpg  
Old 12-21-2014, 05:43 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a tweeter pod so I removed it and drilled a hole right on the back edge of it just big enough for the cable w/ a grommet. I then drilled an oval shaped hole through the inner fairing to pass the bundle through. It's covered by the tweeter pod when it's reinstalled.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:36 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I revived this thread after replacing my zumo 550 with a 590LM on my 09 Ultra. Thought maybe the pics would help some who are concerned about the cable routing. I haven't ridden with the new GPS yet, and found a few things I don't like about the interface, especially the phone bluetooth connection, but maybe that will be worked out as I use it. I put the unit in the same location on the left handlebar as my 550. The cable and its two honkin' connectors routed pretty easily through the fairing at the handlebar penetration. Moving the rubber grommet out of the way provided plenty of room to pass the connectors and cables through. I needed to connect only the power lead and the audio out lead (connected to AUX input on the H-K face). The HUGE bundle of excess cable is gathered up and tie-wrapped in the space behind the headlight. Not pretty but functional.

Attached Thumbnails Zumo 590LM install-img_0098.jpg   Zumo 590LM install-img_0099.jpg  
Old 03-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Astro
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where or how are you mounting it? If your mounting it on the fairing I don't think you have much of a choice except to drill a hole.
Mine is mounted on handlebars and I ran power cord along the the clutch cable through the fairing.

Don

Old 03-27-2015, 09:54 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

After frustration with my 2015 Boom system I decided to remount my Zumo 590. On my Road King where I had the Zumo originally I used the handlebar U-Bolt but on the FLHTK there isn't room. So I mounted it to the clutch with the included bracket and longer bolts. I routed the cables through the fairing very similar to what was in the pictures above. For now I've connected the same wires as well - power and output.

T and T Fabrication, http://www.tandtfabrications.com/, is working on a fairing mount bracket for the 2014 and later bikes. When that is available I plan on moving my Zumo to the top of my fairing. I'm sure there be some impact on the fairing vent but I've decided the extra functions of the Zumo is a fair trade.

When I have the fairing off to move the mounting I plan on experimenting with the input cable for this unit. There is a possibility that I can take sound from the Boom system, route it to the Zumo as if it's a headset and then pass to my BT headset. Doesn't solve the BT microphone problem but it's cost effective since I own everything already.