Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:20 PM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Time for a new clutch

Well I've noticed over the last week or so that if I roll the throttle to pass on the highway m I'm getting a little clutch slippage. The original clutch now has about 92,000 miles on it , with about 30 of that with the set up in my sig.
I figure since future plans call for a power upgrade of one form or another , I might as well replace the clutch over the winter .
Has anyone had any experience with the Energy One Btx-14 kit?? It comes with an extra plate and a stiffer spring , and it's fairly reasonably priced .
Any word on performance and longevity would be appreciated,
Scott

Old 09-26-2016, 04:24 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Just use a standard count friction disc clutch stack. The brand doesn't really matter. Inspect your steels for signs of overheating or warping. If they pass, re-use them.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:14 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I have the Energy One +1 kevlar set with the heavy duty spring.
I love it. I've had it since this past spring so cannot speak to its longevity yet but its grip is great.
Bike is an 07 with stage 1/SE cams. The wife and I are pushing 450 lbs and the engagement is really, really solid. I have to be careful not to jerk her head on takeoffs. With the old, stock, clutch I could manage a takeoff from 3rd if I forgot to downshift. Not so much with this clutch. The stronger spring does take a bit of getting used to but it's really not that bad. With this clutch all the plates and discs are full size, you don't have, or reuse, the half disc or the beveled anti chatter spring/plate, it hasn't chattered once without it. E1 reccomends using HD Formula + in the primary, not synthetic.
It took me 3 tries to get it set right so I could use the friction zone effectively.
It's also the best priced kit I could find. I ordered directly from E1 and shipping was very fast.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:25 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Just use a standard count friction disc clutch stack. The brand doesn't really matter. Inspect your steels for signs of overheating or warping. If they pass, re-use them.
================================================== ========

And to add to that since the OP said he's going to do a perf/pwr upgrade too i also rec he install HD's SE clutch spring along with the new clutch plate pack & new metal spacer plates if required like you already rec he do.

I also rec a new release bearing while he's at it too.

Scott

Old 09-26-2016, 11:04 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 Ultra Classic
Well I've noticed over the last week or so that if I roll the throttle to pass on the highway m I'm getting a little clutch slippage. The original clutch now has about 92,000 miles on it , with about 30 of that with the set up in my sig.
I figure since future plans call for a power upgrade of one form or another , I might as well replace the clutch over the winter .
Has anyone had any experience with the Energy One Btx-14 kit?? It comes with an extra plate and a stiffer spring , and it's fairly reasonably priced .
Any word on performance and longevity would be appreciated,
Scott
I installed one in my bike 4 weeks ago. Easy install, about an hour. Works great, no problems. The manufacturer stresses in it's paperwork that it is mandatory to use a "lightweight" lub in their new clutch. It mentions Harley Formula Plus, Trick Shift or ATF as fluids that it recommends. The key word here is "lightweight". My clutch had 95,000 miles on it and was not slipping. It was however getting harder and harder to keep it adjusted. I had to adjust it every month or so and I just got tired of screwing around with it and decided to replace it. $149.00 as I recall. It now shifts quieter and there is very little clunk into first from neutral. I did not install the heavy clutch spring because I did not think I would need it. I did not need it. Doesn't slip a bit using the Harley OEM spring. I think I soaked the new plates for about 20 minutes in Formula Plus before putting them in.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:24 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Just a suggestion, but I think with that many miles on the clock that you may want to also consider checking and or replacing the drive belt, compensator and perhaps even the primary chain.

You did well getting that many miles out of the OEM clutch.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 PM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the responses . I will likely order a clutch in the next couple weeks.
The drive belt and pulleys were done when the cams were done, but I will definitely have a look at the comp and everything in the primary while I have it apart . No sense taking it apart again later .
Scott