Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:49 PM
rbscooter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide rear speakers

If anyone that has a RG and has added rear speakers off an Ultra and have them work correctly, can you give me some help PLEASE? I am frustrated with my dealer and I dont know what I need. What I have now is a tourpack off an Ultra with speaker pods, undermount amp and wiring to connect the amp and rear speakers together.
Thanks.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:35 PM
LPFRAY
Cruiser
Cool

This is not what your are looking for but is an option for rear speakers with the ability to quick disconnect your tour pack. Look cool and are a no doubt a custom look

http://www.loudlids.com/

Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rbscooter
If anyone that has a RG and has added rear speakers off an Ultra and have them work correctly, can you give me some help PLEASE? I am frustrated with my dealer and I dont know what I need. What I have now is a tourpack off an Ultra with speaker pods, undermount amp and wiring to connect the amp and rear speakers together.
Thanks.
Buy the Service Manual for your bike. It will have the wiring diagrams showing the wiring you need--basically the +/- wires for the speakers since you probably don't need intecom, PTT, passenger controls, etc.

You can then use the dealer to sell you the connectors you will need to connect the wiring to the speakers and radio.

It'd be nice if you find someone who has your bike and done exactly what you want to do; but, in the meantime, you can handle this yourself--it's just simple wiring IF you have the wiring diagrams.

The alternative is to buy the overlay harness for Ultras that is sold for "add-on" HD rear speakers on Classics, Street Glides, and Road Glides and that will be over $100 IIRC.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:34 PM
rbscooter
Advanced

Harleypingman,

I was hoping to find someone that had done this already and hope they chime in. I just bought the bike about 2 months ago and havent gotten a manual yet. That is my next step. I was hoping to have the speaker controls that are on the pods wired correctly so they would work for the passenger to use. If it wont or cant work, Ill just wire the speakers direct. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:53 PM
09RoadGlide
Cruiser

Like Harleypingman said, you will need the ultra overlay harness to make everything work like an ultra, re ptt, volume, speakers etc.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go with the over lay harness you will also need to have the dealer flash the radio to turn on the rear speakers.
I took the outputs to the speakers and ran them through a 4 channel amp. Didn't need the dealer for anything, he already got enough money out of me.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:14 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the rear speakers but mine is controled only through the handle bar and switch on the dash. I wanted it this way since I ride solo all the time

Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You should also check on the compatibility of your headunit with the speakers in the TP. The '06 and newer headunits are designed for 2 ohm speakers. Older headunits were 4 ohm, and even older ones for 8 ohm with the Ultra TP speakers on those units matching the headunits.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it works out.