Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Street Glide Special Seat Reco

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Edsal
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Street Glide Special Seat Reco

I'm 6'2", about 190 lbs. Long legs. I ride solo most of the time but need something with a passenger seat as well for the little lady.

I had a Wide Glide before I bought the Street Glide. Had a Mustang Wide Tripper on that and loved the back rest for long distance but the seat pushed me forward about an inch more than the stock seat did. Wasn't a fan of that but it was so comfortable and easy on my back that I decided to live with it.

I've had the Street Glide now for about 4 moths. I have about 6k mi. on it now. Did about 1200 mi two weeks ago on a three day trip to Orlando and my back has been killing me since I got back home. Not sure how much longer I can go without a back rest now. Ain't getting any better!

So, I guess what I'm looking for is something that will put me, of course, down and back further than the stock seat will. Must be able to add a back rest for me. Also need to have the passenger seat as well (can be two pieces). Is there anyone who has a similar setup that can post pics and details? I really appreciate the help! Thanks guys!

Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 PM
X1_Mike
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you liked the wide tripper on your Wide Glide try one on your Street Glide. I have sold many of those seats to guys your size and they end up being happy with the extra room they get. The chassis of the two bikes are substantially different where the FL frame lets the seat move the rider a lil further back. If you get a Wide Tripper make sure you get it with the driver backrest as you can't install one retroactively. That goes for any two piece FL seat not just the Mustang. The rear mounts for the driver portion take up the same real estate that a add on backrest would so it must be integral with the seat. If you check eBay you could probably find a smoking deal on a set up like that.....wink wink

Here is that set up on my bike an 09 FLHTC

Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

Mustang makes a seat that moves you back 1 3/4 inch back. Just checked for your year it's called super touring.
I just got one for my year called super wide touring it moves me back 1 inch. These are both wide seats at 19 took me a day to get used to the width. I'm 6 foot so u should have no problem with it.
http://www.mustangseats.com/Category/Super-Touring

The following users liked this post:
Edsal (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

go to the dealer and sit on used bikes ( post 2009- same frame, same seats will fit) and see if there is anything you like.

a take off ultra seat is cheap and lucky for me I am good for 500 mile days, day after day on those ( i now use a cop seat...800 mile days)

I had a SG seat for a while and liked it for rides less than 4 hours- painful at 6!

I also used a brawler solo which is down and back from the SG seat- turns out this position stressed my hips, resulting in pain.
to put my foot on the ground I had to lift my leg from the hip, rotate it out and drop the foot down.
from a higher seat it's more a matter of lifting the foot from the knee and dropping down to the ground.

for me a backrest put pressure on my lower back ad caused discomfort, I sold it

and lastly the X models like your have 12" shocks...about 1.75" of suspension travel in the rear.
other touring models have 13" shocks= 2.75" travel.
a smoother ride.

if your front end is stock, you can bolt up a pair of 13" and have some cush

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-22-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Edsal
Advanced

Originally Posted by xcbullet
Mustang makes a seat that moves you back 1 3/4 inch back. Just checked for your year it's called super touring.
I just got one for my year called super wide touring it moves me back 1 inch. These are both wide seats at 19 took me a day to get used to the width. I'm 6 foot so u should have no problem with it.
http://www.mustangseats.com/Category/Super-Touring
That's great! Thanks! Do you have any photo's you can share?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:20 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

For the Rushmore bikes Mustang makes a Summit super touring which is wider in the back than the regular super touring. 19 front, 16 back; sets you back 1.75in. Heated and unheated versions.

https://www.denniskirk.com/mustang-s...prd/459830.sku

I have the Mustang 79446 solo and a passenger pillion and it sits me back just right..broken in its awesome...

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 06-22-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Edsal
Advanced

Originally Posted by X1_Mike
If you liked the wide tripper on your Wide Glide try one on your Street Glide. I have sold many of those seats to guys your size and they end up being happy with the extra room they get. The chassis of the two bikes are substantially different where the FL frame lets the seat move the rider a lil further back. If you get a Wide Tripper make sure you get it with the driver backrest as you can't install one retroactively. That goes for any two piece FL seat not just the Mustang. The rear mounts for the driver portion take up the same real estate that a add on backrest would so it must be integral with the seat. If you check eBay you could probably find a smoking deal on a set up like that.....wink wink

Here is that set up on my bike an 09 FLHTC

Thanks my friend! That looks really good. I have a Corbin on the bike now and I really like the look but after that last ride I'm not looking forward to the next.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:19 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

It's a different year (frame bike) and full dresser. Gives you a idea, the extra inch is not noticed by eye but you can feal it when putting legs down. Your year I noticed if you want back rest you have to get it from the got go. My year I can use the Harley one that I have. I also have a extra mustang seat and back rest that I didn't use after buying used on here as you can't use hand rails for passenger it. She didn't want to go with out those. I need to get that back up for sale.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Street Glide Special Seat Reco-img_20170624_054823094.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Edsal
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkguitar
go to the dealer and sit on used bikes ( post 2009- same frame, same seats will fit) and see if there is anything you like.

a take off ultra seat is cheap and lucky for me I am good for 500 mile days, day after day on those ( i now use a cop seat...800 mile days)

I had a SG seat for a while and liked it for rides less than 4 hours- painful at 6!

I also used a brawler solo which is down and back from the SG seat- turns out this position stressed my hips, resulting in pain.
to put my foot on the ground I had to lift my leg from the hip, rotate it out and drop the foot down.
from a higher seat it's more a matter of lifting the foot from the knee and dropping down to the ground.

for me a backrest put pressure on my lower back ad caused discomfort, I sold it

and lastly the X models like your have 12" shocks...about 1.75" of suspension travel in the rear.
other touring models have 13" shocks= 2.75" travel.
a smoother ride.

if your front end is stock, you can bolt up a pair of 13" and have some cush

Mike
That's good advice! Thanks for that. I have a local HD Tech who was a buddy of mine. I'll inquire about the front end.