Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 41, Crank Position Sensor ... HELP ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:34 AM
Ultra RB
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 41, Crank Position Sensor ... HELP ...

Hi all.

I have a 1999 Ultra, TC, 95", 50,000 miles on it. Running like a top until I went to start it this morning. Cranks well but will not fire. Checked fuses, all ok ... wiggled all the conections, still no joy.

I retrieved the trouble code (using the turn on turn off 4 times method) and got a code 41, which my manual tells me is a Crank Position Sensor code. I traced the wire and made sure all the connections seem good, still no fire.

I don't have the diagnostic tools that the manual says to use to check operation of the sensor.

What to try next? What is the problem, a bad sensor? Any workaround to try to see if that is the cause? Suggestions?

Like I said, the bike was running well up until this point.

Thanks in adavance for any help.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Code 41, Crank Position Sensor ... HELP ...

My Fatboy did the same thing about a month after I bought it new in 04, it would turn over but not fire. I had to replace the sensor, or should I say the stealer had to since it was brand new. Sounds like you need a new sensor bud!!

Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 850 Likes on 412 Posts

Ditto; it's the sensor. In fact, since your bike is a '99, it's almost overdue. The good news is that it's not expensive, and it's relatively easy to replace. You'll get your hands dirty, but that's about it.

Uncle Peepers

Old 05-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Bull Shoals
Cruiser

sounds like the CPS. my 2006 just had one go out. the stealer fixed it under warranty. I'm looking at the invoice and it says Crankshaft potioning sensor $41.95 for the part.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Ultra RB
Novice

I'm in Canada ... I called several dealers to find this part ... all did not have it, nor does the Canadian distributors warehouse ... so it has to be ordered from the factory ... takes 3 weeks to arrive ... at a cost of $135 ... yup, $135. They all told me that so it wasn't just one stealer trying to rip me. Someone is getting rich here, I am constantly amazed at how bad we get the shaft on HD stuff in Canada. I'm lucky that I live close to the US border and can go down and get my stuff. They have one at a US shop close by for $42 ... guess where I'll be going this weekend ...

Thanks for the help.

ORIGINAL: Bull Shoals

sounds like the CPS. my 2006 just had one go out. the stealer fixed it under warranty. I'm looking at the invoice and it says Crankshaft potioning sensor $41.95 for the part.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Ultra RB
Novice

Well, all is good now. Picked up my $42 CPS, installed in about 30 minutes and fired up like it was brand new.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:01 PM
MVTHarley
Stage I

I am so glad I found this link. I had the same problem with Code 41. My 2000 Road King had been running great and I replaced the exhaust gaskets to fix a back fire issue I was having. I had to remove the entire exhaust system and when I put it all back together, I could not get it to start. I found this thread and decided to go ahead and replace the Crank Position Sensor. That fixed it.... Thanks