Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

64985-07A Screaming Eagle mufflers vs 64985-07.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Joshman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64985-07A Screaming Eagle mufflers vs 64985-07.......

Mother of god......exhaust options will be the death of me!!!!! I just bought a set of the 64985-07 first generation screaming eagle street performance slip-ons for my 06 Road glide with ture dual headers. I was looking for the little bit louder than stock and not as loud as my super trapps I am running now. I have the super trapp SE which are supposed to be only 3 db louder than stock. They are in my opinion considerably louder and the only thing I can attribute that to is the fact that I have a set of andrews 26G cams and the true dual head pipes.

Now if that logic was correct I found a old but new first generation set of the "Screaming Eagle" street performance slip-ons with out the "A" affixed on the end of the part number. I heard that when HD first brought out these mufflers they were too quiet for most so the next year they updated them with the "A" suffix at the end of the part number and the 08 up versions now are supposed to be louder than the 07 version?

Now long story short the Supertrapp SE are too loud, the Screaming Eagles I bought with 64985-07 not the "A" model are way too quiet even with the true duals which I thought would be louder then stock headpipes but are not. They are damn near quiet as stock which kinda sucks. This is my fifth set of slip-ons I have bought looking for "the sound". Long story short does any one know if the screaming eagles I bought will louden up much after time and if not is there much difference going to the newer "A" model of street performance slip-ons? If not It looks like I might have a brand new set of the first generation street performance slip-ons for sale later on I will post in the classifieds if so.

I know this post must seem kinda confusing but in my head it makes sense............I think Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

From the three gazillion posts I have read on mufflers, yes the "A"s have a better sound then the one's you have.

Also as far as the SuperTrapp's, the dirty secret is the increase db is something like exponential so 3 db is actually a lot louder then expected. I am running the precurser to the SE's the old Screamin Eagle 98B's which are the same as yours. However I have stock headpipes on a stock 88 and they sound great.

If you are intersted in selling either set of your pipes let me know by PM or on the board.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Joshman
Cruiser

Sent the PM let me know if you want them k.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 PM
barkster99
Tourer

Joshman -- I know way too much about this subject. Read on. And don't laugh!

Put 64985-07s on my 07 RK a couple years ago. Really like the look but, sound-wise you're right, pretty much like stock. From there, went to the FuelMoto/Rush slip-ons. Liked those for a while, eventually decided they were too loud. Next up - 64985-07As. Ahh, damn near perfect! A LOT different than the originals 07s. Nice deep tone at idle, nice bark when you get on it, but cruise all day with no problems. And I really like the tip options with the look of the 4" cans. (Had piston caps, now running the turn-downs.)

So, happy end of story, right??? Not quite. For reasons I don't quite understand myself (part of my addiction), I put V&H Dresser Duals on a couple weeks ago. Oh ****! Now the 07As are too loud! Luckily I still had the original 07s and put them on. Wish they had a little more oomph but... I'm done looking for a while. Funny that the true-duals made such a differnce in the 07As but not the 07s. Whatever.

So what to recommend. Beats me. Try the 07As if you can. Bet you like them. Great tone, great look.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I just picked up a set of the -07's off of eBay for cheap. I just yanked the cores and installed Fullsac's 2' baffles along with their true duals conversion and I am thoroughly luvin' the sound!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:13 PM
pab
Tourer

Been running 07 A's for about 8,000 miles. They became louder & deeper over time, but not too loud. Deep idle tone, they bark when I twist the wick, but they purr while cruising @ 75 mph in 6th. Like 'em.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

They will get louder over time but not much. Took mine about 1500-2000 miles. The 07A's would have been too loud for my preference because my bike has cams and 103" kit(makes bike much louder). For example, i put the stock mufflers back on the bike for a while after i did the engine work and they were almost too loud. Hey what's wrong with hearing your radio after all?