Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra inner fairing wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Dermodad
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra inner fairing wiring question

Help! 2004 Ultra. Near the radio are a set of 3-wire orange and black harness connectors; these mate perfectly but were never connected on my bike; in fact they were strapped pretty far apart. What are these and should they be mated or not? See photo I hope...

Attached Thumbnails Ultra inner fairing wiring question-img_2089.jpg  
Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you taken multimeter and checked the 'sockets' for power? Is anything on your bike NOT working? Cruise, gauge lights etc?
Me? I would be tempted to plug the two together....just to see what happens.
(I am the guy that sees a RED button that says "do not push"...and wonders why there is a red button if you can't push it).
I don't remember seeing any connectors like that (not connected) when I had my '04 fairing off.
I am curious.

chuck

Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Take a look at the back of each connector. If the wires in them match up if the two were joined, the two should be connected. They are probably the audio harness connector and the wire colors are: (1) Orange/Violet stripe; (2) Blue/Yellow stripe; and (3) Violet/Gray stripe. Information is from the 2004 HD Touring Models Service Manual wiring diagram in the Appendix. If you don't have one already, buy one.

If the wire colors are different from what's stated above, post what they are and I'll see if I can find them on the wiring diagrams.

Question: Does the CB, rear speakers, and all of the audio function properly? I ask because there should be some audio functions that don't work with that connector disconnected.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Dermodad
2nd Gear

Thanks Harleypingman...the wires are exactly as you describe in the male connecter; female too, except there is no violet/grey (only a dummy plug) on the female. The other two wires mate up exactly.

I have not noticed any specific audio system malfunction, but the dang thing is so complicated I often forget how it operates anyway.

I have always thought the audio quality was inferior to my 2000 Ultra, but who can really tell.

Since I had a 2000 Service Manual, I didn't buy another in 2004. This plug is not in the 2000 manual....and the radio was slightly different.

Anyway, I'll hook it up once I get my Hogtunes speakers and let you know if anything explodes.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I took another look at my manual, and one connector has the three wires described in my earlier post, and the mating connector has only two wires; the violet/gray wire is omitted. You should be good to go.

Good luck with your speaker install.

Carl

Old 12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
DD4life
Advanced

have you bought the service manual and the electrical diagnosis manual for this M/C?
They would explain what the wires are for?

Old 06-10-2016, 04:11 PM
RandyElson
2nd Gear
Default Heated grips

That plug your looking at is for heated grips
Originally Posted by Dermodad
Help! 2004 Ultra. Near the radio are a set of 3-wire orange and black harness connectors; these mate perfectly but were never connected on my bike; in fact they were strapped pretty far apart. What are these and should they be mated or not? See photo I hope...

Old 06-10-2016, 04:20 PM
RandyElson
2nd Gear
Default Heated grips

Has your bike had the grips changed ?cause I am sure that plug is for heated grips if your bike is an ultra or cvo than for sure it is heated grips it's probably unplugged cause they have been removed

Originally Posted by Dermodad