Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailer Interior Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Enclosed Trailer Interior Questions

I know that most of you are dead set against trailers, but my wife and I are retired, up in years and have a few medical issues that has made it something we have had to do.

We still love to ride (been riding for 40 years) but we just can't hang like we use too.
The mind says no problem but the body says no way!

With that being said we have purchased a 6x12 King American V-nose, tandem axle with brakes, side door and a fold down rear ramp door.

I need some advise for setting up the interior of the trailer, any suggestions,tips or pics of your set-up will be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No shame in trailering your scoot whatsoever. We're about to get a motorhome and do some serious traveling and we're taking the bikes with us. Motel-ing it is getting too expensive plus you can get a really good deal on an RV right now.

The new chocks that hold and lock your bike upright are really nice. Wish they'd been available when I rigged my trailer. I used a track system and tie the bikes down with ratchet straps front and rear. I also place a block under the frame of each bike and pull the bike down onto them. You can make them yourself with 2x4's or 2x6'es. Make them so there's about 1/2" of frame clearance and you're good to go.

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 03-25-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 603 Likes on 326 Posts

A good wheel chock is worth it's weight in gold.I am a vendor and travel a lot of miles pulling our bikes to events in our trailers,and a good wheel chock will give you piece of mind. E track is also great for putting on the floor for tie down points..

Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,883 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Get a Harbor Freight motorcycle chock. $30-$40.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96349

It is removable very easily, just leaves the mounting plate behind. That way the trailer can be used for something besides bikes when needed. The chock will stand a full bagger up without a problem.

Best tie down equipment I have found is E-Track. I set up a full 7X14 trailer for under $300.00. That includes 3 full length strips down the floor, 2 full strips 30 inches up both walls, all the end caps, and 12 "O" ring tie downs. A bit of overkill on my part, but my stuff stays secure.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-E19148.html

http://www.etrailer.com/p-59131.html

http://www.etrailer.com/p-ET8730.html

Unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the trailer, wood floors are the way to go. Easy clean and low hassle.

6X12 is a good size for a single bike. If you are carrying more than 1 I would suggest going to a 7X14 or even an 8X14.

My wife and I don't trailer our bikes other than to drop off at the shop, but we do use the trailer to store them. My set up seems to work well.

Last edited by Toypuller; 03-25-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Even with the locking chock I would tie down bike with 4 straps, not sure which way to to interpret Leftcoaster's reply. The locking chocks are nice because you can run the bike into one & it will keep the bike steady while you tie it down, I've never tried to block the bike, not sure I like that idea, you shouldn't have any problem if it's tied down tight with 4 straps.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,883 Likes on 1,493 Posts

The blocks take the pressure off the suspension when clamping down. It's not good to travel with the forks compressed.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Like above, a good wheel chock and a few places to tie your bike down. I saw tie down system at a show last year that just mounts to the bottom of the bike and latches with a pin or something like that. you can turn that trailer upside down and the bike will go nowhere. Maybe someonw here will remember the name of it. You might want some room for a generator and air compressor along with a tool box, and, of course, a fridge for the oat sodas for after the ride.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used E track in mine and tie it down with heavy nylon ratchet tiedowns. I can haul my brother's Road King and my Street Glide with no problems. We've had the trailer since '02 and never had an issue. We stagger the bikes in the trailer because of the saddlebags. That being said, if I had it to do again I'd have gotten the wider (7 ft. wide, I guess) box. But it's worked out well and we've never skinned up our bikes over the years so why complain. I've listened to to "trailer comments" too but when it's 30 or 40° with misting rain, the warm cab in my truck sure beats the alternative!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys! That E-Track is a good looking product.
I am planing to install a Condor wheel chock.

Has anyone built any cabinets or shelving? What did you put on the floor?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM
TBone29
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the link below. This guy is a snowmobiler, but his products could be used for motorcycles.

http://www.sledtech.com/trailer/cabinets.htm

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer Interior Questions