Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI to carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 AM
waynemags
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI to carb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all. i just got a 1999 roadking. its EFI. i am very familiar with carbs and no EFI experience. what would i take to convert to carb. is the efi reliable? how does it compare to carbed bikes. thanx

Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Smart move. The '99 EFI is garbage. There are tons of posts on HD forums that include parts lists.

Good luck

Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 AM
waynemags
Cruiser

im gonna have to run it for now till i can afford the change. what is the issue with the efi

Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Nothing wrong with the early efi. Mine performs just fine.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by waynemags
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all. i just got a 1999 roadking. its EFI. i am very familiar with carbs and no EFI experience. what would i take to convert to carb. is the efi reliable? how does it compare to carbed bikes. thanx
1999 is M and M, that EFI is reliable if you know its limits and you own a HD service book which is about $50.
It is a much more simple system than the delphi and in fact uses the same technology as older fuel injection systems in cars.
The system is also less affected by vacuum leaks.
Down side is very few younger techs have seen the system or understand it. Also if someone is going for a big build they could run into some fuel delivery issues.
The system is simple to maintain and parts are available..bulk of issues are: fuel lines(old), crank position sensor, cam position sensor...i believe 1999 specifically had a cam bearing issue that required replacement, fuel injector wire that was too tight and might of also had a bank angle sensor issue(bike would turn off over bumps/hard turns)..I would think that those issues would have been addressed already in the past 10+ years.
If you need more fuel for modest changes like aircleaner and pipes then consider J and P cycle and check the different piggy back fuel devices available.
M & M gets some bad press but i think it is because very few people are familiar with it and a limited number of tech have worked on them..Think about it, the system has been updated for about 10 years to Delphi...Younger techs. can probably work on a newer Delphi much more quickly and with greater knowledge than on a M & M or Carb.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 AM
waynemags
Cruiser

im assuming that with the mods that the previouse owner has done, these things may have been addressed. how can you tell which system is on there? thanx for the help.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Dude, just ride the bike and enjoy it. If it gives you a problem down the road, address it then. The M&M efi works just fine. The most common thing to happen with it is losing the idle settings once in a blue moon. It takes about 5 minutes to reset it when it happens. Go ride and have fun.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:02 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
Dude, just ride the bike and enjoy it. If it gives you a problem down the road, address it then. The M&M efi works just fine. The most common thing to happen with it is losing the idle settings once in a blue moon. It takes about 5 minutes to reset it when it happens. Go ride and have fun.
I would follow this advice..and the system depends on the year..enjoy the bike and buy the HD service when you have a chance..The book has a whole chapter that will help explain all the sensors.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

MM is fine IF you can get someone to tune it right. If yours is running fine now, leave it, don't fix it if it ain't broken. I had a 2001 ultra before. I gave up because I couldn't get the idle right and the ECU also had problem keeping the rpm constant while cruising.. Cost to fix my MM at the time was close to get carb conversion and I also want to do things myself, not relying on other people to get my bike right, so I want to convert it to something I am familiar with so I swapped mine to carb and I am VERY glad with the result.
Search on the net, tons of post on part number needed. Here is some tips from my experience (assuming your engine is 1999 twin cam, not last evo).
- Get daytona twin tech carb module (DTT TC88), you'll be glad you did, plenty on ebay and cheap.
- get the carb wiring harness WITHOUT the cam position sensor, will make it simpler, cam sensor is useless. Just cut off the cable close to the cam sensor head (inside the timer cover), leave the cam sensor head there.
- Buy the wiring harness from wireplus, better quality and it is labeled clearly.
- No need to buy MAP sensor, it is the same sensor from your EFI existing BARO sensor. Don't ask me how I know about this LOL !!
- Get Mikuni HSR42 for the carb, you'll be glad you did.
- Get fuel tank conversion plug for MM to carb from Pingel, and get their fuel petcock too. THE BEST...
- get wiring diagram from your model year and compare it with wiring diagram from 2002-2005. if you are only getting wiring diagram from your model year, you will be confused, because you are going to get rid of the cam position sensor. I have wiring diagram for 1999-2005, I can scan and send it to you if you wanna do this conversion. Email or PM me.
It a VERY easy procedure and can be done in 5-6 hours if you are familiar with your bike.

As for the result:
- I love the super instant throttle response. No EFI bike any year can compare with carb for this.
- I love the fact that I can fiddle with the setting without pushing some button that I dont know.
- I don't care if I got stuck with crappy gas, its carb.
- Carb gives the bike more badass idle sound.

Cheers

Last edited by uwiik; 06-01-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 01 EG runs fine. Never had a problem. Ride it, enjoy it, if breaks fix it. Kinda like a cage only a lot more fun. JMHO