Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Ice Inner Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:11 AM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Black Ice Inner Fairing

Has anyone with the Ultra LTD bought the HD color matched inner fairing or had their inner fairings painted to match?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to paint mine with the area around the gauges Black and then Black Ice around the top bottom and sides, or split to match the lines of the outer fairing.

Anyone with pictures or suggestions?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:06 PM
wwceaton
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I painted my 2010 limited inner fairing. and just to let you know the complete fairing needs to be painted black first and then the top coat ICE will need to be sprayed on to of this, I do recoment doing the complete surface with the ICE and wow does it look good in the sun, Lots of complements from people.
I would take a picture but bike is in hiding till spring...

Old 01-16-2011, 08:42 AM
uscanuck
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wwceaton
I painted my 2010 limited inner fairing. and just to let you know the complete fairing needs to be painted black first and then the top coat ICE will need to be sprayed on to of this, I do recoment doing the complete surface with the ICE and wow does it look good in the sun, Lots of complements from people.
I would take a picture but bike is in hiding till spring...
I had thought about doing it all Black Ice but thought it might be to much. Sounds like it looks pretty good.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior

Not the best pics but got it painted two tone. Black around gauges and ignition with Black Ice around the perimeter with the grey pinstripe.

Attached Thumbnails Black Ice Inner Fairing-inner-fairing-3.jpg   Black Ice Inner Fairing-inner-fairing-4.jpg   Black Ice Inner Fairing-inner-fairing-2.jpg  
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Lonerider31
Advanced

Anyone know an estimate of what a dealer would charge to remove and reinstall the inner fairing?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:31 AM
uscanuck
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lonerider31
Anyone know an estimate of what a dealer would charge to remove and reinstall the inner fairing?
No idea but it is pretty easy to do it yourself. Took me about 90 minutes with a couple breaks.

bubbas1 did an excellent write up on how to do it here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ep-w-pics.html

Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

How much did the painter charge you for the complete job? I had one painter tell me 09 and up paint can only be bought thru Harley even though it is PPG paint and that for my Red Hot Sunglo it would be $240 just for the paint.

BTW..I like the way you did the black, looks awesome. I am thinking something similar but having the red melt into the black just around the gauge insets.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:55 AM
wwceaton
Advanced

Red Hot Sunglo it would be $240 just for the paint.

Yea, than sounds about right. In the long run it is much easyer { less hasel } to just buy it allready painted.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The PPG codes for red hot sunglo are:

922609/1 (base coat) and 922609/2 (tinted top coat) with a clear coat on top of those.

Double-check them with your local PPG automotive paint distributor; my info is a couple of years old. When I was looking at paints for repainting my bike I visited the local PPG distributor and he provided the codes for red hot sunglo, candy red sunglo, and several others.

The virtue of PPG is that you can buy quantities as small as a pint versus the HD sprayable paint which is available only in quart quantities.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 02-05-2011, 05:49 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
How much did the painter charge you for the complete job? I had one painter tell me 09 and up paint can only be bought thru Harley even though it is PPG paint and that for my Red Hot Sunglo it would be $240 just for the paint.

BTW..I like the way you did the black, looks awesome. I am thinking something similar but having the red melt into the black just around the gauge insets.
The Harley dealer told me the same thing about the paint. Found this guy in another forum who does it for the CVO Harleys. He is based in West Frankfort, IL. Funny you want Red Hot Sunglow. He had a complete FLHT set up (bags/fairings/tanks etc.) sitting there painted that color.

Cost is about $350 if using your parts or he can supply them for around $100.

If you want his contact info ping me.