Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "stock horn" has to go !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:11 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,547 Likes on 10,088 Posts
Default The "stock horn" has to go !!!!!

I'm bouncing between the Bad Boy Wolo self contained air horns
and the Mini - Beast self contained air horns.

There is quite a difference in price, any other differences besides looks ??
Is one actually better than the other ??

The new J & P Cycle catalog arrived the other day, and I've been
thumbing through it looking for ideas.

What's the good / bad / and ugly opinions on these ??

Thanks

Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just checking out the new Mini Beast XR series. They aren't bad looking at all. The earlier series are just too big and gaudy looking. I have heard the Mini Beast in person and they are loud. Not familiar with the other one you posted.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:47 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley should be ashamed of use such a inferior horn, wow, meets DOT standards,but doesn't help riders when they need a horn.
Safety is on my plate, has anyone reved up their bike with stock pipes, and the squeaky Harley horn to get a cagers attention?
Impossible!

Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I am checking out horns too, but for sure don't want a clown sounding horn. Was just about set on MetalArts horns - look sharp, sound good, but bad reviews in the forum.
Same boat as you Bro...

Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

In retrospect, I've always immediately focused my attention to take evasive action, so I don't die, before blowing the horn to let another driver know that I didn't like what they just did. The horn has never really been usefull in preventing an incident, more of a makes me feel better safety item, like the TSA. I would probably feel better if I could just personally yell at the dipshit that merged into my lane without looking. I think a lot of people like the Stebel products.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 AM
Todd7446
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn

I've got a Mini-beast 5. It is a bigger oval, but with the gloss black and raw aluminum fins, it matches my engine very well (Ultra Limited). It is LOUD, too.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 AM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
In retrospect, I've always immediately focused my attention to take evasive action, so I don't die, before blowing the horn to let another driver know that I didn't like what they just did. The horn has never really been usefull in preventing an incident, more of a makes me feel better safety item, like the TSA. I would probably feel better if I could just personally yell at the dipshit that merged into my lane without looking. I think a lot of people like the Stebel products.
I agree with staying too focused to blow horn. I have two horns they are made by Vance and Hines and one hand is almost allways on the button. The stock horn works great for getting the attention of the rider next to you.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always found it odd that a stock Harley is about 80ish dbs, yet the stock horn is only around 60 dbs...... Talk about "checking a box" on the MOCO's part....

Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM
CurtisO
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My latest horn is the bad boy wolo. It's plenty loud. And looks ok. I've had others on other bikes, for the price and sound- I like the Wolo. And this horn has saved me from a mini van driving soccer mom at least once.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I got the Metalarts that looks like a larger version of the oem horn. It actually has a Wolo inside so I know they work very well. Metalarts makes good pieces of artwork but they are horrible with customer service. I liked the similarity to the oem. If you're not in a big hurry they are worth considering if you like their styles. The Wolo or Steibel horns are as loud as any $200 horn so you can't go wrong there.
No matter what anyone says, you MUST use a relay with good heavy wiring. (12Ga) Horn volume will be double compared to stock wiring and you won't have to worry about toasting your switches.

Quick Reply: The "stock horn" has to go !!!!!