Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 AM
John7x
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Street Glide Special Boom Box Fix

Stream

Blue Street Glide

This was a great find and so I thought I would add a bit of an explanation to how we found the fix. We started by isolating the Automatic Volume Control function (AVC) to make sure that was not a factor. In watching your videos and comparing it to my 2009 Street Glide, I had noticed a significant difference in the way the audio systems were booting up.

I have the Panasonic with the Hawg Wired Amp, which were a typical replacement for the Harmon Kardon factor installs. So there is a big difference in how they boot up. On my 2009 Street Glide (with the Panansonic Head), my system initially boots up when the bike is turned on. This "COMPLETE" boot up process is repeated when I start the engine, after letting the fuel pump indicator light go off. I can watch the Panasonic display restart on ignition and go through all of the steps all over again.

Watching your videos, you will notice that when you turn on your 2014 Harley Street Glide with the Boom Box Audio 6.2, the system comes up and IF you wait long enough you will get the "Accept" screen. At this point if you start the engine, the display goes blank, but it does NOT restart as if you turned the power off. We can see this because we do not get the "Accept" screen again. This means that if you start the engine before the accept screen, you are interrupting the boot up process and putting the system into an unknown and unpredictable state. Searching the web, you will find people frustrated with the "Boom Box Audio Freeze", "Boom Box Blank Display", "Boom Box Audio USB Freeze", and other problems as a result of not waiting for the system to completely boot. Sometimes I felt like the fuel pump took forever until I could start my bike, but it will feel like an eternity for that sound system to come up before you ride.

Unfortunately I don't think Boom Box can program their way out of this mess. I think at the time of this post you are at firmware version 1.8.3, but what people really need is a new generation of hardware from Boom Box or Harley.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:25 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

not true, I start mine all kinds of sequences and have no problem with the boot up.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:32 PM
John7x
Novice

You are one of the lucky ones. This has been going on from the first day I purchased the bike brand new from the dealer. I know it may not be an issue with all of the Boom Boxes but, it has been a real problem for me and several others. I am very happy you have not had to deal with this.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:09 PM
txm8de
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks OP, my bike radio froze the other day when interrupted before accept. It may be hit or miss on the bikes.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:16 PM
John7x
Novice

I have made two trips to Laughlin with about 8 hours total trip time and several stops along the way. I have not had any problems with freeze up of the radio since I began starting it up by hitting the accept switch before I start the bike. It is so much fun to ride now... I love my bike.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:31 AM
John7x
Novice

For those interested in seeing the radio freezing up, I have posted the complete journey to the fix. I had to document the problem in detail because the local Harley Dealership said they could not fix the problem without seeing it. Hope this helps someone avoid the same frustration I had with my bike. I have Parts 1 through Part 5 posted. Just go to this link below
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCenn7soWSe1AnvLjxtxTWgQ
Or go to Hogues Harley Garage on YouTube to see them.
I would have posted them all here but it would have filled up the forum.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 AM
John7x
Novice

Yes, this is more on the Volume Freezing UP. Once it freezes the volume stays where ever it was at. The controls won't turn it up or down. I hope this answers your question.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:26 AM
eggerskf
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having issue with boom box not powering on. First couple times it cam eon after I stopped/turned engine off and restarted. Today no joy. Not sure of the firmware version but based on these posts I plan to flash fw and pull main fuse. If there is any recent tech update on this please let me know.