Sponsored by:

Steering Head Bearings replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:23 PM
kentuckyarms
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Head Bearings replaced

So last year while I was down in Tennessee for a ride I started to notice a slight wobble around 30-40 mph and during deceleration. It just gave me that "light" steering feeling. Wasn't real bad. I had around 6500 on the bike then. I figured since I didn't see any wheel weights on front rim, maybe they came off and I needed tire balanced. Well, I finally got around to taking bike in for a 10,000 mile service. It has 12,000 miles on it now. Mentioned the above to them. They called me back and said front wheel balanced perfect with no weights, They couldn't get Steering head bearings to take adjustment. The ordered new and replaced them. All under warranty.
Took about 7 days to get bike back. They had to order bearings. Ive put around 200 miles on it since seems to be ok now. Fingers crossed. Little paranoid but all seems ok.
Don

Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that sux that the bearings needed to be replaced but its good they replaced them under warranty. These bearings are not even scheduled to be serviced until 25,000 miles according to HD.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:38 PM
tom7tom11
Novice
Default similar symptoms..actually the same

I have same symptom. exactly. most noticeable when first riding, less noticeable after riding a bit. Dealer keeps pointing to tire pressure issue. same mileage just under 12k. Guess i'm going back. lol. Now i'm getting whirring noise when leaning on turns both ways...sounds like tires on a 4x4, very faint tho.

Tom, 2014 Electra Glide Ultra

Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by tom7tom11
I have same symptom. exactly. most noticeable when first riding, less noticeable after riding a bit. Dealer keeps pointing to tire pressure issue. same mileage just under 12k. Guess i'm going back. lol. Now i'm getting whirring noise when leaning on turns both ways...sounds like tires on a 4x4, very faint tho. Tom, 2014 Electra Glide Ultra
Same noise when going into a curve, tires are cupping at 6000 miles.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:30 AM
kentuckyarms
Advanced

After steering head bearings were replaced, the low speed wobble was gone. All was good but I felt like the front in road very rough. It's been little over 5,000 miles now and noticed the fairing hits the gas tank when I turn left. I started looking at it and the fender appears to be warped. Looks like one fork is higher than the other????? I called dealer. Going to trailer in Sunday. I took dash off to see if I could notice something obvious. I didn't. Dang it!!! No riding this weekend.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,317 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by kentuckyarms
After steering head bearings were replaced, the low speed wobble was gone. All was good but I felt like the front in road very rough. It's been little over 5,000 miles now and noticed the fairing hits the gas tank when I turn left. I started looking at it and the fender appears to be warped. Looks like one fork is higher than the other????? I called dealer. Going to trailer in Sunday. I took dash off to see if I could notice something obvious. I didn't. Dang it!!! No riding this weekend.
Are the fork clamp bolts tight?
Good luck

Old 06-13-2015, 10:45 AM
kentuckyarms
Advanced

Forks look to be even in top clamp. Pinch bolts are not loose. I'm leaning toward one of the forks has an issue. I take it in Sunday. Its under warranty.

Attached Thumbnails Steering Head Bearings replaced-img_3886.jpg  
Old 06-13-2015, 11:25 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by kentuckyarms
Forks look to be even in top clamp. Pinch bolts are not loose. I'm leaning toward one of the forks has an issue. I take it in Sunday. Its under warranty.
I don't know if it's just a odd angle or what but in your pic, the front looks *****d up.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 AM
kentuckyarms
Advanced

Got bike back from dealer. They went back in and re-aligned the triple trees, forks, and fairing brackets. Told me front axle slides in forks easily now. They test rode it 34 miles. I rode it home and it's much smoother now. Fairing is still very close to gas tank at full lock left. Within 1/8" but not hitting now. About 1/2" when turned to right. Didn't charge me anything. Hope this takes care of it. Time to ride!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:28 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Wondering if the quality of Harleys are tanking or it's the dealer's diagnosis of issues and shotty repairs.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Steering Head Bearings replaced